Suspended Floor Insulation

rcs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Has anyone successfully insulated under a suspended floor? Wondering what was used to hold up the insulation material against the underside of the floor. I figure some netting, just wondering where it might come from.
Cheers
rcs

Sponsored Links
You can just knock some nails in the joists at the appropriate level to suspend the insulation if it's rigid or otherwise just google 'wire mesh'

Yeah, I've done it with standard glass loft insulation and cheap-as-chips plastic mesh from a Garden Centre, and works a treat.

Also looked at some of the new silver foil/bubble insulation, which is only a few mm thick - easy to install - just staple it up to 25mm from floor and around joists. Is kind of pricey tho (but much nicer to handle) so went for the glass option.

Anyone any experience of thes new reflective insulation materials?

Sponsored Links
Anyone any experience of thes new reflective insulation materials?
Yes, the Building Research Establishment ( official testing body ). From memory they measured about 30% of the claimed insulation value.

This is how we were advised to do ours....

I used Celotex for one of my suspended ground floors. What I did was fix 50mm underneath the joists, by propping them up off the oversite with offcuts and fixing to joists and each other with expanding foam. Then I added more 50mm between the joists, also fixed with foam, with gaps cut out for wiring. All pipework runs above the Celotex.

The advantage of fixing with foam is that you don't have to worry about dead accurate cutting to joists that may not be perfectly parallel or straight - Celotex isn't very tolerant to being forced in if you cut it oversize, and you don't want gaps. Using foam, you can deliberately cut the Celotex 1/4 in undersize all round, and foam into place.

Obviously this is only convenient if you are prepared to lift your floorboards...

Cheers
Richard

I had a go with Insumate to insulate out my suspended gorund floor. You install it from above so not crawl space hassle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back