Insulating existing suspended floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I'm just about to go ahead and insulate my existing suspended floor after reading some similar posts on this forum. I've bought some 'Space blanket' insulation this weekend from Homebase (1/2 price!) 3 questions really

1:- Foil facing the ground, or the floor? I'm assuming that it will be foil facing the ground (cold)

2:- I have access to the under floor area via a trap door and about 4 feet to work in so it's not cramped at all. The insulation fits perfectly between the joists so I was planning on putting some netting on the underside of the joists and laying the insulation on top of this, so there will be a gap between the top of the insulation and the floor surface. Is this OK, or perhaps better to push the insulation up until it meets the underside of the floor surface and then hold it in place somehow?

3:- When I said that the insulation fits perfectly I mean that there is no excess at all - I'd have been happier if there was some excess to kind of jam it in. The insulation is that type that's basically wrapped in plastic, so I was going to use some tape to 'seal' the edges to the joists. Any problems with this?

Any tips / advice would be appreciated - It's cost peanuts to do it and as long as it makes the room feel even slightly warmer it's worth it to me

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back