Suspended floor - quick question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, new home owner in need of some advice.

I want to insulated my suspended floor. Can I simply put loft insulation between the joists as shown in the photo, supported by galvanised wire netting which would be stapled to the under side of the joists?

Would this cause any rot?

Obviously I wouldn't cover up the air bricks.

Cheers Barry

Sponsored Links
This is the most convenient thing you can do as per the condition. You should go for it. Make use of the metal rods between the spaces below. It will strengthen yopur floor

Sponsored Links
Those joists don't look very deep?

You might want to consider rigid foam, with squirty foam to fill gaps, for better thermal performance per mm.

Plastic garden netting, better than metal wire, stapled to the top and draped down top > bottom of the joists concertina style, you'll never know its there...pinenot :)

Cheers pinenot, I already bought the metal wire so just used that.

How do you think it's looking?

I've got two air brick in the top left corner, the air bricks are slightly lower than the joists which is where the insulation is. Should I leave a gap infront of the air bricks? If so how much? I don't want to block them with the ends of the insulation.

[/img]

No gap, the airflow through the air bricks is for under the floor and joists, so as long as it's not impeded that's OK...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back