Suspended flooring question

H

hello1979

I'm currently in the process of renovating a first floor flat. It's a 1980s build with a suspended floor on a concrete base which forms the ceiling of the flat below.

Upon pulling the floor up, I find the joists that the boards rest on lie directly on the concrete. All of the joists have a spongy kind of membrane stuck to the bottom of the joists.

Is this an older version of a barrier membrane, which is my first thought, or is it something else?

The floor as a whole

The joists are 55 x 60mm and the sponge is around 4mm.

If it is a membrane, will any modern equivalent do or is there a special kind for the joists?

Sponsored Links
There called Proctor battens and are a propriety acoustic floating floor system. They are available at most builders merchants, Jewsons, Travis Perkins and the like...pinenot :)

There called Proctor battens and are a propriety acoustic floating floor system. They are available at most builders merchants, Jewsons, Travis Perkins and the like...pinenot :)

How much does the foam reduce by when there's pressure on? The only ones I can find are 15mm bigger than the ones I need :(

The wood alone is 55mm width and 60 mm deep

Sponsored Links
Proctor is just a brand of acoustic battens, there are many forms available at a range of different sizes.

I wouldnt worry to much about the width, it would be the depth that is crucial.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back