Suspended timber floor insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have recently moved into a 1930s house. I've never lived in such an old house before so have had to get familiar with the construction techniques used.

I'm conscious of the need to respect the practical aspects behind the design decisions although it's not a listed building or in a conservation area.

One of the first things I've noticed is the ground floor has some creaking, is a bit draughty and is constructed from planks of wood nailed down, some of which are uneven. The laminate on top has been laid appallingly also. I would like to replace them with tongue-and-groove chipboard that's glued and screwed to the joists.

Since this would entail lifting the existing floor boards so as not to build up the floor height I thought it would be a good opportunity to check that the pipes are sufficiently insulated and to install insulation between the joists.

I had intended to wedge piece of PIR between the joists but some googling suggests that this could lead to condensation production which then causes the joists to rot.

The systems I have come across on the internet include an air-tight breathable membrane that forms pockets between the joists and laps over them, followed by the insulating material, followed by a vapour barrier on top. The chipboard can then go on top.

• Does this sound right? Anyone here used such a system and able to give some brand names for the various components?
  • Does this work come under building regulations and require notification to the council?
  • Any government grants for insulating my home in this way?

Would really appreciate hearing from people who have performed this type of work.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back