suspended WC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am about to fit a suspended WC in my house in France. It comes as a kit and the instructions seem straight forward however the fixing to the floor and the wall are the tricky bit. The floor is a 25 mm thick hand made quarry tile... I have no idea what is underneath them! And the wall could be mud and stones or possible concrete building blocks.

For the floor fixings what I am thinking may be a good idea is fixing a half 30mm thick paving slab using a good quality tile adhesive first and then fixing through that into the quarry tile and beyond. I hope this would give the job more strength? And a nice flat surface to bolt the framing to. For the wall after an bit of exploration to find out the construction I was thinking that if required I could fix an 2x2" batten to the wall with several large plugged fixings and fix through the batten into the wall with the wall plugs and bolts supplied to spread the load across a greater area of wall, if you understand what I am saying, to prevent the plugs being pulled out of the wall. Does this make much sense? Working on old French houses is nightmare when it comes to wall fixings :( Any advice on this task ?

Sponsored Links
Yes, build a solid wood frame and fix it to the wall to spread the load. I did this for three pans in our house and they are all fine, even when grandma plumps her considerable weight down on them.

Autumn2006014.jpg

Quadbiking2October2005019.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back