Suspended wood floor base to concrete base. How to merge?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an existing suspended wooden floor that needs to be merged into an extension concrete base. The finished product will be an engineered wood floor seemlessly covering both.

I am in the process of making sure the sub wood floor is perfectly level using packing pieces under the joists where it rests on the brick work.

The concrete is a few mil lower than the sub wood floor. Idea being that I use self-level to bring it up to exactly the right level and make it a little smoother.

The final floor will be an engineered, click system, floating on an underlay.

My problem is the old external wall (the two course of brick). Do I bridge over this with some 20mm (approx) ply wood or something else?

Sponsored Links
Will your seemless floor finish cope with a potential few mm settlement drop on the extension floor side?

No way! I wan't it perfectly flush ;) I'm building up the old external wall to the correct level and putting a board across it. Getting it level might be tricky though. Then using self-level screed on the concrete to get it up to the correct level. Does this sound like a plan?

Sponsored Links
If you want it perfect mate.
Plywood the wood side with 6mm ply
Then screed up to that level.
Take the bricks out mate. Fill with Visqueen sheet and either sand an cement or granno an screeding compound.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back