suspended wooden floor over garage inspection pit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The garage I've got with my new house has a 6/7 foot deep inspection pit. It's about 1 meter wide and about 3 meters in length. I don't want it properly filled in and cemented over as it'll be gone forever (and I'll lose potential storage space). What I'd like is to run a battern down each length and then run boards across width ways. The whole thing would need to be able to support some very heavy weight, maybe up to 150kg. What's my best solution? Should I opt for maybe 3*4 batterns then just decking boards? or do I need something stronger?

Cheers,

Sponsored Links
Although not a garage pit, a place that I worked had an orchestra pit that was only used for storage
It was a good 20 feet x 8

The flooring was built in panels that lifted out, and each panel join was supported by a lift out steel beam than held both long edges to prevent give

In your case I would have thought that decent timber slats would be fine, resting on a long beam on each side? You won't get deflection on 4x2 1metre long - or get scaffold boards

is the pit concrete lined,walls and floor? is it dead dry? if it is then knock up a kind of carpenters bench frame with 2" x 4"s to drop in and fill the hole and cover with screwed down 2" by sixes or whatever level with the garage floor.

ask mods to move this to building

I have seen one where the top has a shelf around the edge and sleeper type lumps of wood were used (so the could support the wight of anything placed on them).
Perhaps you can put thick battens along the edge and do similar?

I'd only use it for storage if your sure it won't get wet down there.

Sponsored Links
what do you mean "a carpenters bench frame" ? It's dry(ish), the garage was a mechanic's work shop so it's fairly oil stained etc. I'm not too worried about it getting dump, unless of course that can affect the timber. We've been there since May and over the winter it hasn't gotten damp/wet etc.

google work benches.
dont pin bearers to sides of pit, the sides could be well thin and collps.
wet will rot wood.

what do you mean "a carpenters bench frame" ? It's dry(ish), the garage was a mechanic's work shop so it's fairly oil stained etc. I'm not too worried about it getting dump, unless of course that can affect the timber. We've been there since May and over the winter it hasn't gotten damp/wet etc.
Pits normally have a recess along the long sides to drop planks in to make them flush with the floor so take it your pit is not like that?
If your pit is open at the mo then you may not notice damp but there is a good chance the walls and floor will sweat and the moisure will condense on the underside of any boards you put down .
On my pit, when not in use,I leave a gap at either end so the space can breathe as when I first move in the boards were completely rotten and the replacements were dripping wet after a short time.
litl

I welded electrical tray together cut to width, very strong and allows great ventilation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if its available in the UK rather than getting it from India? lol

Also consider a covered sump & pump in there with something similar to the above upturned tray, for that occasion when you get it filled with water due to heavy downpour etc.
Additionally, recess into the walls some power sockets, so that you can use your power tools while down there.
(I'm not thinking storage - I'm thinking of it being used for what it was designed for.)

Storing stuff below ground level is a recipe for it getting damp & ruined so if you do, ensure that its all in decent watertight containers.

I wonder if its available in the UK rather than getting it from India? lol

Additionally, recess into the walls some power sockets, so that you can use your power tools while down there.
(I'm not thinking storage - I'm thinking of it being used for what it was designed for.)
Ive got bank of 4 recessed power sockets and compressed air supply down mine, I hate cables all over the place. Not sure about metal covers as I frequently have to lift with jack wheels partially on the boards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back