suspension spring rubbing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A few days ago I noticed a creaking sound from the back of the car that manifests itself whenever the rear suspension has a lot to do.

Anyway, I have just been under the car (in a fashion) and spotted something.

The passenger side rear spring is rubbing against a fixed metal "piece" which appears to go to hold the wheel in place. Compared to the other side, there is about half an inch gap.
In the pictures, the red circle shows where the spring is rubbing the adjacent metal.

What's gone wrong and how is it fixed? Citroen C4 06 plate.

Sponsored Links
I think the bottom of the spring has snapped off - you can see that's where it's sat awkward.

The spring seems to be rubbing off the trailing arm.....I hope mfarrow is correct with his diagnosis!
Never had to do a rear spring on these, but its easy enough when the bottom shock mount is disconnected.
John :)

New spring then? Had a front one pop out last year. Can't remember how much they charged for that. Any rough costs for an independent garage to do this?

Sponsored Links
Its a much quicker and simpler job than the front.....basically the car is jacked up at the sill area, and the bottom shock absorber bolt is removed. This allows the trailing arm to drop down enough to wriggle the spring out and I would say around one hours work, really.
John :)

The spring seems to be rubbing off the trailing arm.....I hope mfarrow is correct with his diagnosis!

View media item 62751You can see the last two turns of the spring are not concentric with the others. Also, the very last turn is at the same level as the end of the spring, I know this can be so anyway but at the top it certainly isn't.

Most likely to occur on pothole/nearside which is what's happened here.

I've got a good mind to send the bill to work. Car park is patchwork and is more pot hole than surface.

Back