swa and plastic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am running swa to outside sockets and lights on a car sales forecourt. Any suggestions for terminating the swa into plastic weatherproof sockets?

I have considered some options...
1/ straight in to the plastic box
2/ into a 'trouser box' and then from the top spout in
3/ some other plastic adaptable box which is a bit more heavy duty than the outside socket box.

thanks

Sponsored Links
2.5mm should probablly be ok terminated directly (with banjo ofc)

i think 4mm and larger would be rather a push to terminate directly especially if there is more than one cable and i don't think a trowser box would help you much with them either

a galvanised steel or plastic adaptable box would seem the way forward for larger cables

thinking of going down the trouser (y box) route. How weaher proof are they when used with the plastic seal? Would connectors inside be subject to moisture?
I am concerned that this may lead to a short or nuisance tripping.

thanks so far

the swa is 1.5 and 4mm...

Sponsored Links
I would say 4mm would fine directly into MK masterseals. Maybe use a trouser box below, but take the cables directly through the trouser box into the socket box (don't join).

I have done 4mm with masterseals, no probs.

Lec's on my wavelength tonite... I always try and terminate SWA into insulated enclosures by taking the SWA tails thro' the metal box into the plastic. You avoid terms, as Lec says, and that has to be a good thing, both from a potential fault POV and from a weatherproofing POV.

two 4mm swa terminated just fine into the single gang GET weatherproof socket...

thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back