Swa cable size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some advice electrical distributer as put in a power supply in a purpose built cubicle on a farm.
From the cubicle to the cabin where the powers is required is about 80 metres

What swa cable size is required?? Also want to future proof it incase want to build a house or additional cabins

Thanx

Sponsored Links
There is a calculator that will give you the minimum size needed based on the load, the distance and how the cable is installed.
Indeed - but if the OPs perceived additional future loads (against which he wants to be 'future proofed') include "additional cabins" and "a house", I think he may be facing an unrealistic task, even if the present supply were adequate to service all those possible additional future loads!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I was thinking of 35m2
80m of even that would (if single phase) only allow you something approaching 70A (which may not be a lot for "a house and several cabins") if you wanted to stay within the 3% voltage drop guidance for any lighting at the end of the run, quite apart from other considerations. ... and it would obviously cost a good few bob!

How much capacity does the supply have which would be feeding this? Is it a single-phase or 3-phase supply?

Kind Regards, John

Is there a reason the supply was not put closer??
I would imagine that the supply goes to a farmhouse and/or other farm buildings and that the various possible 'cabins' and 'a house' are distant from that supply. However, the OP can presumably clarify.

I would also think that if an additional house ever appears, that will be a matter for the DNO, not a case of running a supply from some existing installation.

Kind Regards, John

Thanx for all the advice
The cable has to go through farm land thats why the dno install it near to source to a single phase supply to a cabin a cabin with one socket and a light

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back