What SWA cable do I need to supply cabin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am looking to get an electrician to connect power to a cabin in my garden which is located 60 meters away from the house. Could any one tell me what SWA cable ( 2,3,4 core? etc and what thickness? 6mm 10mm) I would need to supply it please?
The cabin will have the following things that require power:

2 x 1000w Heaters
2 x 1500w Heaters
Hot tub
Electric Shower
2 extractor fans
2 Tv's
12 spot lights
Microwave
toaster
Wood burner (I assume some of these require initial power??)
9 internal double plug sockets
heated floor
2 external plug sockets to serve the garden (lawn mower etc)

Sponsored Links
Hi Markzz,

I would seek the advice of a professional electrician BEFORE commencing with any electrical work of this scale, as there are a number of factors to consider when designing an electrical installation of this scale, such as:
  • How the cables will be installed?
  • Where cabling can be run?
  • What MCB's/RCD's will be required?
  • Making sure the design of the installation complies with BS7671 (Wiring Regulations)
  • Then the testing of the completed install for the Test Certificate, that is required for the work to be signed off by the LABC (Local Authority Building Control).ect
Plus, ANY NEW Circuit needs to be notified to LABC, to comply with Part P Building Regs.

So in the interests of safety, PLEASE get an Electrician ON BOARD AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!

Last edited:
I am looking to get an electrician to connect power to a cabin in my garden which is located 60 meters away from the house. Could any one tell me what SWA cable ( 2,3,4 core? etc and what thickness? 6mm 10mm) I would need to supply it please? .... 2 x 1000w Heaters, 2 x 1500w Heaters, Hot tub, Electric Showe ... Microwave ... heated floor ..... etc. etc. etc.
Given your list of potential loads, I'm not at all sure whether or not this is a serious question but, since someone else is bound to assume it is and make this comment, I might as well get in first and say that it would be the electrician who did any such work who you would have to answer that question (probably after a long discussion with you about the loads - and, indeed, the adequacy of your house's supply to service it).

Kind Regards, John
Edit: Damnit - typed too slowly again :)

I don’t think the OP needs an electrician, I think he needs his local DNO!

Even with diversity that’s gonna be a hefty submain!

Sponsored Links
I don’t think the OP needs an electrician, I think he needs his local DNO! Even with diversity that’s gonna be a hefty submain!
Quite so ....
.... it would be the electrician who did any such work who you would have to answer that question (probably after a long discussion with you about the loads - and, indeed, the adequacy of your house's supply to service it).
.... but also ....
Given your list of potential loads, I'm not at all sure whether or not this is a serious question
:)

Kind Regards, John

PLEASE get an Electrician ON BOARD AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!
whssign.gif

Those loads sound more than our semi detached house!
The cable alone will likely be 400 pounds and you'll possibly have a bonding issue depending on the water supply.

To get a rough idea you could put your figures into a cable size calc:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/Charts/VoltageDrop.html

Obv get an electrician in to price and specify. I am sure he wont want to be using a spade, so you will prob want to arrange for the cable trench to be dug by somebody else. Have a think about whether you need other cables, like communications put in at same time.

and what thickness? 6mm 10mm) I would need to supply it please?
Just a quick look at the load and distance makes it an absolute minimum of 25mm². Could easily be larger, and that assumes the existing supply is suitable for this substantial extra load - it probably isn't.

It's a very strange mix of facilities, and lack thereof.

5kW of heating AND a wood burner AND UFH. Not only is that a lot, there's overlap and surely the potential for an ASHP to be better for some of it. Or ground-source if there's 60m of trenches to be dug?

Food preparation facilities, but no fridge? A shower but no hot water to wash hands before eating? No way to wash dishes etc used for food preparation and consumption, so they've got to be lugged back and forth.

It's clearly not just a summerhouse/garden room - who would be surprised to learn that it will have a WC and sleeping accommodation? Even if there isn't the latter, and it's small enough to avoid planning permission, there's no way to do it without Building Regulations approval, so it seems odd to be asking here about the size of supply cable rather than leaving that to the electrician.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back