SWA for new shed

Thanks John. That makes perfect sense. I'll need to check how the current garage mini-CU is connected and see if that needs to be improved too.

If I am going to have SWA directly from CU to mini-CU (i.e no raw T&E in the connection) but some of that SWA will be clipped to the outside wall of the house would it then need RCD protection?

(And yes, before everyone tells me to ask a spark, I will do but I'm interested myself now :) )

Sponsored Links
@pjcomp - thanks for making me stop being lazy and get some prices... 25m length from TLC is a LOT less than the reel from ScrewFix :)

Thanks John. That makes perfect sense. I'll need to check how the current garage mini-CU is connected and see if that needs to be improved too. If I am going to have SWA directly from CU to mini-CU (i.e no raw T&E in the connection) but some of that SWA will be clipped to the outside wall of the house would it then need RCD protection?
If it were all SWA (from CU to CU), it would not need RCD protection, no matter how/where it was routed/installed. However, terminating (glanding) SWA directly into plastic CUs (particularly mini-CUs) can be difficult (or near-impossible), in which case you'd have to terminate it into some sort of box, and take T+E from there to the CU. However, provided that T+E was not buried in a wall, it still would not need RCD protection.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks again John - I feel we are now into the sort of detail that my spark can worry about, however really appreciate the extra information and understanding it has given me.

Sponsored Links
I was pleased someone used 4 core swa for my shed as they had also wires lanterns to the shed.

This allowed me to fit 2 way switching and control the lanterns from inside the house.

Thanks AndyPRK - I thought I'd read that a few times, hence me thinking 4-core could be useful in future.

Suppose its another question to ask my spark...

Indeed I too have the 4-core solution (actually 3-core with the armour as earth).

It's not a true 2 way setup but allows Line and Sw-Line to the shed and then a 2-way switch in there but wired L1 to Line, L2 to Sw-Line and COM as the output to the load, whatever that might be.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back