NYMJ or SWA?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i'm running a cable from the CU to a shed for a twin socket and a light. The cable will go out and along the side wall of the house, then along the back wall of the house and along the diving wall in the back garden, and into the shed which is alongside the dividng wall. The cable will be about 8 inches from the ground, clipped to the wall, and 100% visible.

Is it ok to use NYMJ, or should i use SWA?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
NYMJ is used alot over here. i.e you would use it for an outside light mounted on the wall of your house. What cable would you normally use for that? (just out of interest, nothing to do with my original query)

NYMJ is used alot over here. i.e you would use it for an outside light mounted on the wall of your house. What cable would you normally use for that? (just out of interest, nothing to do with my original query)
Black flex

I used 1.5mm 3 core on this project it seemed the most durable on offer at B&Q. Looks ok IMO. I am planning improvements this year, btw.

Sorry Steve but that looks awful.
Personally I would sooner destroy the decorating inside a little and have no cables on show at all. Maybe it's just my pet hate but I HATE cables on show outside a house. I even ran (internally of course!) two CT100 cables prior to a visit by Sky for fear of them putting a cable on the outside of my house.
If I had no choice at all then I would prefer unsheathed pyro.

If I had no choice at all then I would prefer unsheathed pyro.
Indeed, but on a DIY level of budget and skill, black flex and plastic glands is a more practical option. And I know it looks terrible. The re-hash will involve all cable running higher up. The cable that runs lower goes off to a 500W floodlight mounted on a mast fixed to a fence (i know, i know), the fence will soon be extended which will enable me to re-route this. I used two lights so the whole garden was lit evenly. It works really well.

Never a good idea to take cable through the top (2nd picture).
With the best will in the world, moisture will eventually penetrate.

Never a good idea to take cable through the top (2nd picture).
With the best will in the world, moisture will eventually penetrate.
Drainage hole in the bottom. ;) I'll not show you inside, it looks terrible. I'll show the after pictures soon. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back