SWA with 7 Cores 1mm blue, 4 cores 2.5 g/y and 1 core brown 10mm ???

However (i may be wrong here) my understanding is that under the 17th/18th edition it doesn't comply with the rules for non-RCD protected concealed cables, so it's not such a good choice nowadays.
I presume that you're right, because the (directly) 'earthed metallic covering' (as required in such a situation) of the live conductors is 'incomplete' (i.e. not a complete 'covering').

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I used to install loads of it back in the day as it’s easier to work with and terminate than SWA, and is a bit more robust and smaller than T&E.

I still use it a bit these days, but as mentioned above, it is no longer permitted to be concealed within the building fabric without RCD protection.

Sponsored Links
I used to install loads of it back in the day as it’s easier to work with and terminate than SWA, and is a bit more robust and smaller than T&E.

I still use it a bit these days, but as mentioned above, it is no longer permitted to be concealed within the building fabric without RCD protection.
Thanks RF I didn’t code it in the end it goes through a place Under a stair well into the apartment no one is ever going to be drilling Or interfering with - was Installed in 2006 by all accounts.

Ps. You were posting on this forum at least 15 years ago when I was last on the tools fair play mate. Seems “ban all sheds “ got kicked out spose he’s back under some aliarse these days ?

Ps I would halve thought a bit of 16mm T&E Would have been easier to install , terminate and contain than the aforementioned?

Thanks RF I didn’t code it in the end it goes through a place Under a stair well into the apartment no one is ever going to be drilling Or interfering with - was Installed in 2006 by all accounts.

Ps. You were posting on this forum at least 15 years ago when I was last on the tools fair play mate. Seems “ban all sheds “ got kicked out spose he’s back under some aliarse these days ?

As long as you treat it the same as T&E with regards to installation methods / routes for any possible codes then you’re fine.

Yeah I’ve been knocking around here for a while now. BAS quit the forum a couple of years ago after not being allow to run riot any more, but there are certain other posters here now which are just as irritating and unhelpful, but without the actual knowledge which BAS has.

Ps I would halve thought a bit of 16mm T&E Would have been easier to install , terminate and contain than the aforementioned?

Split con pulls in easier, it’s smaller, fits round holes and conduits, can be dressed onto traywork etc and for me it is the superior cable.

I’m not 100% certain but it may have a larger CPC than T&E also.

Split con is much easier to handle, pull in, form etc

EDIT: Beaten to it again...:notworthy:
Green/Yellow is bigger than equivalent T&E but I haven't looked it up.

Yep he/she was definite marmite material very knowledgeable but I got the impression armchair warrior and had a great ability to really wind people up in fact me included . Anyway trying to upload pic as still this seems wrong

14BB8F0F-41F0-434A-8ED8-00562BD683D5.png

This board has a 25mm² split con supply on the right. As you can see, it’s much smaller than T&E (although not available in 25mm²)

It is installed in earthed steel conduit so that it does not require RCD protection.

As long as you treat it the same as T&E with regards to installation methods / routes for any possible codes then you’re fine.
This raises the question of what, if anything, should be done about existing "submains" run in T&E or split-con, not RCD protected at their source and concealed for all or part of their run?

This raises the question of what, if anything, should be done about existing "submains" run in T&E or split-con, not RCD protected at their source and concealed for all or part of their run?
Is not (or should not) the answer to that be exactly the same as it would be for any cable (i.e. not a 'submain') "run in T&E [or split-con], not RCD protected at their source and concealed for all or part of their run" ?

Kind Regards, John

Perhaps, but for most normal circuits in a domestic installation the solution to a lack of RCD protection is simple, upgrade the CU.

However many flats are setup with a switchfuse in a communal meter cabinet, feeding a CU in the flat via a submain. Putting a RCD in the communal meter cabinet seems highly undesirable and replacing the whole cable run back to the meter cabinet may involve significant upheavel..

You don’t need to do anything about the situation unless you are going to upgrade the CU. If doing an EICR it would/should be C3 because it doesn’t comply and I don’t see it as potentially dangerous, no more so than someone digging up or drilling through the mains incoming to a house

Yes you “should” RCD protect the tails if you were say changing the board in one of those flats. However in reality is that practicable as stated and indeed likely to happen ?

Attachments

• 22729CE5-1F2D-4EDA-8A17-F6E680BE8AE3.jpeg
    22729CE5-1F2D-4EDA-8A17-F6E680BE8AE3.jpeg
    70.1 KB · Views: 208
Perhaps, but for most normal circuits in a domestic installation the solution to a lack of RCD protection is simple, upgrade the CU.
Indeed - or, in some situations, just provide 'standalone' RCD protection for the circuit(s) in question.
However many flats are setup with a switchfuse in a communal meter cabinet, feeding a CU in the flat via a submain. Putting a RCD in the communal meter cabinet seems highly undesirable and replacing the whole cable run back to the meter cabinet may involve significant upheavel..
Yes, I can see the practical problems - to which, as you imply, there is probably no ideal solution. In some situations I suppose that it might be possible/practical to have RCDs for each of the submains close to, but not in, the meter cabinet.

However, an RCD to protect the submains is not really a satisfactory solution, anyway, since a single RCD covering the entirety of a flat's installation would undoubtedly be considered to be in violation of 314.1, hence very probably a C3 on an EICR - leaving replacement of the cable with SWA/whatever as the only (but very disruptive/'costly') option. However, as has been said, the existing situation itself probably only deserves a C3, and represents minimal risk, so the most pragmatic solution is probably simply to leave things as they are.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back