Swap position of toilet & sink - is this a big expensive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we currently have a 70's style bathroom with the sink under the window and toilet on the main wall. We are looking to replace the suite and wondered whether we should swap the sink and toilet around. The waste pipes run back to the main rising soil pipe in the corner of the room and we would need to swap the waste pipes around that join this. We would just like to ask those that know whether this is a big, expensive job or whether it is a failry straghtforward plumbing job (for the professionals not us!). Many thanks

Sponsored Links
If it is just swapping positions, and as the soil pipe is in the corner, then probably not going to be a very big expensive job.

Presuming you can get the fall etc on the toilet waste.

Wherabouts in Hampshire are you?

Graham

All depends on access and levels.
The sort of thing where one plumber might take one day and charge £120, another three days and £1000 or even more. Plus parts.

Sponsored Links
The soil pipe on a 70`s house will usually be a b`stard to pull apart - no one used the proper lube on the ring seals then - it`s in effect a solid pipe from top to bottom :cry: - in my experience - I would actually price for a straightforward job and tell the customer that once the soilpipe was exposed and examined it could be on a £ day rate . Then they have a min. and max. cost :idea:

NigeF - I am the customer and am just trying to find out a rough cost before I rip all the woodwork out of the bathroom - the info from yourself and everybody else is most useful. I think we are going to have to uncover the pipework to see exactly what we have there. Many thanks to everyone.

I did virtually the same job in my home. The worst part of the job was the soil pipe. It was cast iron & had to be replaced right down to ground level. I replaced & extended the window cill with white worktop & built a false wall to hide the cistern, then fitted a back to wall pan. The finished job looks great.

Glad he's not doing it on day rate, cos if he is after 7months of last posting it'll be very expensive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back