Swap push timer light switch for on/off. Possibly 2-way

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have push-button timer light switches in the hallway and up the stairs. The pneumatic type that slowly pop out. The switches are at both ends of the hallway and top and bottom of stairs. Normally these would be wired as two-way but being timed, I assume that they wouldn't need to be as they always default to the 'off' position.

My question, can I simply replace the switches with normal on/off switches? Would should I be looking for when I remove the cover, to know that they have been wired as 2-way. I am not an electrician but am more than competent to replace a switch.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
One-way will only use two of the switch's terminals; two-way will use three terminals.

There may be more than one wire in a terminal.

When you have unscrewed the switches take photo's of the wiring in each one before removing anything and post the pics on here.
That way somebody may be able to further advise on the best way to tackle this. (It may also prevent you getting anything mixed up).

Sponsored Links
Before taking photos, mark all wires of the same colour to distinguish them from each other, in a way that is visible in the photos.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back