2 way switching on not desirable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Got a scenario here where a stairwell is lit on two levels and 2 way pneumatic time delay switches are used - the type where you push them in, and they slowly come back out:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/19689/Electrical/Timers/Time-Delay-Pneumatic-Sw-Polycarbonate

The ground floor and first floor pair of switches cause the lower lights to illuminate, and (another) first floor and second floor pair of switches cause the upper lights to illuminate..

Talking about just one pair of switches (though both the lower and the upper pairs exhibit this problem):

Now, these switches have been wired up like conventional 2 way switches which I find very illogical, because you enter the building and push the lowest switch in, illuminating the lights. You then climb the stairs to the first level and reach another push switch, but pushing it in causes the lights to turn off, until the ground floor switch pops all the way out, at which point the lights illuminate again, until the first floor switch pops all the way out at which point the lights turn off.

I presume they have been wired in such a way that the bridging wire between the two switches connects L1 to L2 and vice versa, but I'm writing to ask if it's possible, without installing new wiring, to wire them up in the more logical way of: pushing either switch in illuminates the lights, and subsequently pushing the other switch in allows the lights to remain illuminated, for the duration of the longest switch delay.. i.e. both switches are set at 30 seconds, i push the first switch in, climb the stairs, 10 seconds later push the second switch in, the lights will remain illuminated for a total of 40 seconds

I think I need to get them operating in parallel 1 way mode, such that the common of each switch is live all the time, and then only L2 (or whichever is switched by pushing the mechanism in) is connected to the other L2 and onto the light bulb?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Yes, it should be wired as you describe!

Permanent live to C and the switched wire to L1 (or L2)
All switches in parallel so and switch will turn light on.
To connect as you describe you'd only need 2 wires and you've got 3 so no rewiring would be needed.

All you've got to do is find where the switches connect to the lights. Should be in one of the switches, but may be in the light, or at a junction box, somewhere - maybe in the common area utility cupboard with all the meters, etc..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back