Swapping a Shower Conundrum

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About 10 years ago, I installed an 8.5kW shower for my brother in law. It now needs replacing, so on my advice, he obtained a new one of the same rating.

Originally, I installed it as follows:

40A MCB at the consumer unit.

A total of 12 to 15 metres of 6mm T&E installed as follows: A short length in its own dedicated plastic trunking to upstairs, under the floor, then clipped direct inside the airing cupboard wall (plasterboard) with the last 3 metres in the loft well clear of the insulation (it just passes vertically through the insulation at one point for about 6")

The isolator (45A) is wall mounted outside of the bathroom door. The cables enter it from the airing cupboard behind.

As there wasn't a RCD in the consumer unit I installed one inside the airing cupboard behind the isolator.

The house belongs to the local authority and about one year ago, they replaced the consumer unit with one fitted with a RCD. At the same time, they removed the RCD from its enclosure in the airing cupboard that I had installed and inserted a 32A MCB in its place. The origin of the circuit at the consumer unit also has a 32A MCB instead of the original 40A. The cable and isolator are exactly as I originally installed.

So, not being part P registered, I was hoping just to swap over the showers on a like for like basis, however, I am reluctant to connect a 8.5Kw shower to a 32A MCB, but can't make any modifications to the existing circuit (without notifying) even it it's wrong.

So, would it be OK to just swap the showers over? The original has been working since the new CU was installed without tripping the MCB.

BTW, the original showers demise was because of mechanical failure.

Sponsored Links
The house belongs to the local authority and about one year ago, they replaced the consumer unit with one fitted with a RCD. At the same time, they removed the RCD from its enclosure in the airing cupboard that I had installed and inserted a 32A MCB in its place. The origin of the circuit at the consumer unit also has a 32A MCB instead of the original 40A. The cable and isolator are exactly as I originally installed.
So, not being part P registered, I was hoping just to swap over the showers on a like for like basis, however, I am reluctant to connect a 8.5Kw shower to a 32A MCB, but can't make any modifications to the existing circuit (without notifying) even it it's wrong.
So, would it be OK to just swap the showers over? The original has been working since the new CU was installed without tripping the MCB.
I think you will find that the manufacturers instructions will state that there is a requirement for a 40Amp MCB and RCD protection.
Personally, I would get back whoever replaced the 40Amp MCB with two 32Amp MCB's and tell them to do the job properly.
Either they JB the connection in the airing cupboard and put the MCB at the CU on the proper rating 40Amps or they replace both 32Amp MCB's with 40Amp equivalents.
In my mind the latter is a bodge job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back