Swapping damaged RCBO with different brand?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

One of my RCBOs failed today. The brand in my CU are all Hager.

Current RCBO is a type B 32a 6kA with 30mA leakage protection.

Nowhere local sells Hager and the specific model is discontinued anyway. Screwfix sell plenty of RCBOs with identical specifications, does it realy matter if the replacement is a different brand as long as it's like-for-like in spec?

Thanks for your help,

Daz

Sponsored Links
They're not all physically the same shape, i.e. they don't align properly with the hole in the front of the CU.
There may be other brands that actually are interchangable because they're just brands from the same real manufacturer - perhaps someone else will comment.

Thanks for the info endecotp. I planned on removing the old and taking it with me so I could compare the physical size of it. If by chance there happens to be one that is of similar enough size to fit (with the right spec), would that be considered ok?

No, as it wouldn't be type tested to hager devices. Hager won't test/certify their equipment with anybody else's and vice versa.

The most current range of hager RCBOs are fully backwards compatible with the slightly older style.

You won't find another RCBO branded differently but actually the same item with Hager, they're a one brand company.

Why did this fail? Loose connection? How have you proved it has failed?

Your best bet is to double up onto another 6A circuit (if possible) for the time being and order a new Hager RCBO from the internet. We fit hager all the time, and they're readily available, but from wholesalers - you won't find them in screwfix/toolstation/b&q etc

Sponsored Links
They're readily available, the newer Hagar being a retrofit for the older.

Thanks guys. Currently working my way round checking to be sure but 99% it was as an old and faulty dryer.

The test button on it no longer trips it out nor does the device stay in the on position.

Well, if it doesn't stay ON, how do you know the test button doesn't work?

Does it not stay ON because it is being tripped? I.e. there is a fault.

Disconnect the load from the RCBO.
Then test it.

The test button is a very basic test of the mechanism only.
A proper test of the device is done by using an RCD tester.

EFLImpudence sorry I didn't explain myself properly. I meant the RCBO full stop wasn't responding to being switched ON. The switch is permanently mechanically biased to OFF (I've removed the unit and still behaves in the same way).

I'd done what you suggested TaylorTwoCities, disconnected all of the load and it still wouldn't work. No other observable signs of damage to sockets or plugs etc on that circuit either.

By the way thanks for the suggestion of TLC. After I posted this morning I left for the nearest branch. It was rather a long 3 hour round trip:sleep: but I managed to get another Hager RCBO unit and have just installed it and fingers crossed everything is working fine again for now.

I'm taking a bit of caution in plugging appliances into the twin socket which the duff dryer was plugged into and safe to say that dryer is going in the skip!

Because turning the dryer on was what caused the initial event. That plus its about 4th hand and about 15 years old.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back