upgrading RCBO for new thermostatic electric shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our old Triton T80 7.5kw shower is due an upgrade. We've had it over 10 years now, but it's never been particularly powerful, and also it tends to randomly go cold mid-shower for 15 seconds, before suddenly ramping up to scalding hot for another 15 seconds before resuming normal temperature. This is happening on average 2-3 times during every shower, and it gets annoying having to leap to the opposite end of the bath for half a minute to get out the way of the shower head whilst it's mucking about!

I'm assuming a newer "thermostatic" electric shower will fix this problem, and presumably by upgrading to a 10.5kw version, we'll get better flow as well. I've been looking at this Bristan Bliss 10.5kw which gets reasonably decent reviews (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bristan-BL3105-Bliss-Electric-Shower/dp/B01IR5KLBM?th=1)

In terms of the cable, we had new 10mm ran to the bathroom when we had a full house re-wire 3-4 years back, in anticipation of eventually upgrading the shower one day, so that's no problem, however from what I can tell, we only appear to have a 32a RCBO in the CU for the shower? I'm guessing this was deemed more appropriate by the electrician for the shower we already had.

1697021578697.jpeg

1697021621315.jpeg

Anyhow, is this something I can change myself or is it notifiable?

In my head, I'm thinking purchase a like-for-like Hager 50amp type B RCBO, flick the big red main switch on the CU, and literally just swap it out like-for-like, and it will be a 2-minute, easy job.

Any potential issues with doing that?

Also, just to make decision-making that little bit harder, there is a brand new, spare Hager 40a RCBO in a little box box sat on top of the CU. I'm guessing this still wouldn't be enough for a 10.5kw shower, but it's making me wonder if it was left there when the CU was installed, just in case I eventually decided to one day upgrade to a 9.5kw shower (as opposed to the 10.5kw one I'm looking at right now).

1697021660979.jpeg

So am thinking, maybe I should just use this spare 40a RCBO, and install a new, lower-powered 9.5kw shower (presumably which will still be better than what we have now.... although I've read reviews of people buying modern showers, complaining that the flow wasn't as good as their older, previous models of the same KW rating?) or instead go with the 10.5kw shower (presumably even better still) and just get myself a brand new 50a RCBO?

what would you do?

Will I even notice a difference between a 9.5kw and 10.5kw shower?

Sponsored Links
Too many options.

Decide what you want to do first.
fair point! :)

I guess ultimately I'm going to need that RCBO swapped out regardless (whether that be the 40a I have, or a new 50a) - can I swap them myself (non-notifiable) or do I need to get someone in?

fair point! :)

I guess ultimately I'm going to need that RCBO swapped out regardless (whether that be the 40a I have, or a new 50a) -
Yes, 40A will only allow you 9.5kW, so may as well get a 50A as you have the cable for it (assuming it was installed correctly).

can I swap them myself (non-notifiable) or do I need to get someone in?
Well, you 'can' - are allowed to - whether you 'can' - are able to - I have no idea.

Presumably you have no test equipment.

Sponsored Links
Yes, 40A will only allow you 9.5kW, so may as well get a 50A as you have the cable for it (assuming it was installed correctly).

Well, you 'can' - are allowed to - whether you 'can' - are able to - I have no idea.

Presumably you have no test equipment.

It seems to be definitely notifiable if you switch from an MCB to RCBO, but can't seem to get clarification if changing from one RCBO to another is notifiable or not, as it's not actually changing the protective device of the actual circuit...but then I'm not an electrician, so I can't say this with absolute certainty! :)

It seems to be definitely notifiable if you switch from an MCB to RCBO, but can't seem to get clarification if changing from one RCBO to another is notifiable or not, as it's not actually changing the protective device of the actual circuit...but then I'm not an electrician, so I can't say this with absolute certainty! :)
Are you saying you want any old reason as an excuse to give the local authority some money?

Are you saying you want any old reason as an excuse to give the local authority some money?
I just would like to know if changing one RCBO for another RCBO is Part P notifiable work. If it is, then I'll probably get a spark to do it...if it's not notifiable, I'll do it myself.

This is what I found online....

Notifiable electrical work

Because of the safety risks associated with electrical work, the following areas all count as notifiable work, under Part P regulations in England:

- installation of a new consumer unit (fuse box)
- installation of a new circuit
- circuit alteration or addition in a bathroom or shower room (specifically in the area around the bath or shower), or in a room with a swimming pool or sauna
- a full rewire
- a partial rewire
- a full new electrical installation.

Is swapping out a 32a RCBO to a 50a RCBO considered circuit "alteration"?

Where I'm going with this is..... would that mean that I could happily swap one 32A RCBO for another 32A RCBO (not notifiable) but swapping a 32a RCBO for a 50a RCBO would be notifiable??

I just would like to know if changing one RCBO for another RCBO is Part P notifiable work. If it is, then I'll probably get a spark to do it...if it's not notifiable, I'll do it myself.
Do you consider that to be "the installation of a new circuit"?

Your decision is no less valid than anyone else's interpreting what someone else wrote.
So make up your own mind.

This is what I found online....

Notifiable electrical work

Because of the safety risks associated with electrical work, the following areas all count as notifiable work, under Part P regulations in England:

- installation of a new consumer unit (fuse box)
- installation of a new circuit
- circuit alteration or addition in a bathroom or shower room (specifically in the area around the bath or shower), or in a room with a swimming pool or sauna
- a full rewire
- a partial rewire
- a full new electrical installation.
That is not correct - either out of date or wrong.

This is all there is now in England:

1697033022792.png

Special location is within the bathroom zones.
Is your wiring within the bathroom zones?

Is swapping out a 32a RCBO to a 50a RCBO considered circuit "alteration"?
Make up your own mind within the required conditions.
If not within the bathroom zones - i.e. lighting circuit more than 2.25m from the finished floor level then it doesn't matter.

Where I'm going with this is..... would that mean that I could happily swap one 32A RCBO for another 32A RCBO (not notifiable) but swapping a 32a RCBO for a 50a RCBO would be notifiable??
Make up your own mind.
Whether notifiable of not does not mean you are not able to do it.

Last edited:
It seems to be definitely notifiable if you switch from an MCB to RCBO ....
Says who / what? It would only be notifiable if it were regarded as "installation of a new circuit", and I really don't think it qualifies as that, hence I would personally have to say that it's not notifiable..
, but can't seem to get clarification if changing from one RCBO to another is notifiable or not, as it's not actually changing the protective device of the actual circuit...but then I'm not an electrician, so I can't say this with absolute certainty! :)
.... even further from being "installation of a new circuit" - so, in my opinion, definitely not notifiable.

Kind Regards, John

Says who / what? It would only be notifiable if it were regarded as "installation of a new circuit", and I really don't think it qualifies as that, hence I would personally have to say that it's not notifiable..

.... even further from being "installation of a new circuit" - so, in my opinion, definitely not notifiable.

Kind Regards, John
thanks, that's put my mind as ease. In that case I'll order a Hager 50a type b RCBO and fit it myself (y)

Think I'll go with the 10.5kw shower rather than the 9.5kw option, as apparently they work better during the winter months when the cold mains supply often comes into the house at just below freezing, so the more powerful Kw shower will heat the water quicker ensuring a more constant flow.

cheers!

thanks, that's put my mind as ease. In that case I'll order a Hager 50a type b RCBO and fit it myself (y)
Not so quick :)

Whilst I do not believe that the change of RCBO would be notifiable, it would only be acceptable to make the change you propose if the cable of the circuit is suitable (sufficiently large) to be adequately protected by a 50A RCBO - and since it is currently a 32A circuit, it's quite probable that such may not be the case - in which case it would obviously become a much bigger job (replacing the wiring).

Do you know what size cable is currently being used for the circuit?

Kind Regards, John

Thought I’d quickly double-check to put my mind at ease. This is a photo of the cable currently running up in the loft across to the bathroom…

765452E8-5B85-46A8-B768-4C6F3B4E2C9B.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back