Replace different brand MCB?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My B6 Hager MCB has died - I've no idea what brands they sell in B&Q but it could be out of stock anyway. I'm normally an MK man. Could I replace one of these:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/HGMT106.html

with one of these:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/20630...nits/MK-MCBs-Incomers/MK-6A-SP-Type-B-MCB-6kA

I hear the clip they sit on can vary and also mixed brand boards have not been tested to the same extent as same brand boards, although that latter point sounds like a sales pitch to me. Following electrical regulations should mean MCBs are functionally identical or else it should be illegal to mix them?

Cheers!

:D

Sponsored Links
The busbars are likely to be different, just get a hager breaker rather than trying to put a square peg in a round hole!

Use the hager, it is guaranteed to fit where as the MK isn't.

New MK stuff is rubbish anyway.

Go to an electrical wholesaler, not a DIY shed, the majority will have them in stock, or follow your own link from TLC

Sponsored Links
I'll flog you one on ebay if you really are stuggling that much to find one.

Its getting one on new years day that was the problem!! Cheers for the offer - guess I should be able to pick one up tomorrow :D

No, I've just got loads of electrical components in my garage :LOL:

(my e-mail is in my profile)

I hear the clip they sit on can vary and also mixed brand boards have not been tested to the same extent as same brand boards, although that latter point sounds like a sales pitch to me. Following electrical regulations should mean MCBs are functionally identical or else it should be illegal to mix them?
There are two issues:

The first is a strange ommision in standardisation, Din rails are standardised and so are the openings in the front panel but for some reason bussbar arrangements aren't. Some brands will fit each others boards and give a decent connection though. I belive MK and hager will but i'm not positive.

The second is about responsibility, no manufacturer wants to be responsible for the combination of thier parts with some unknown companies parts especially when there is no standardisation of the bussbar connecting them. In other words if something goes wrong with a combination of different brands of part both manufacturers are liable to blame it on the mix and you could easilly the one left having to explain yourself to insurance companies or possiblly even courts.

Just been through my archives and found this:

IMGP2102.jpg

MK vs Hager

Not good is it :mad:

Job done with the updated hager mtn range (has additional plastic flap). Found a useful wholesaler in the process too - cheers chaps!

Bodger and Qrap only sold wylex and mk and I was pretty sure there was no way they'd fit ... luckily the wholesaler was round the corner. I'd never ventured that far into the industrial estate before lol

:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back