Swapping L and N on an RCD or RCCB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Is there any logical reason why you can not swap the Live and Neutral wires on an RCD (or RCCB)? Obviously this means swapping both L and N on the in side as well as on the out side.
Logically it would not seem to matter as the differential current device should still operate as required but is there something (or a regulation) that I am not aware of that would mean it should be avoided?
Any advice much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Hi,
Is there any logical reason why you can not swap the Live and Neutral wires on an RCD (or RCCB)? Obviously this means swapping both L and N on the in side as well as on the out side.
Logically it would not seem to matter as the differential current device should still operate as required but is there something (or a regulation) that I am not aware of that would mean it should be avoided?
Any advice much appreciated.
There is no reason apart from the manufacturers stamp RCD with L & N.

I suspect they do it to stop the use of other brands (you shouldn't mix them, though) as some are one way round and some another.

It is a nuisance as sometimes when because of the cable routing you may want to configure the board from the other side.

GE RCD's used not to have any markings & polarity aside, there was nothing to stop you putting the conductors where you liked (Careful!).

Sponsored Links
what will happen to the 'test' button function with a L/N reversal? Will there be a current through the test circuit flowing N-E without a load connected?

what will happen to the 'test' button function with a L/N reversal? Will there be a current through the test circuit flowing N-E without a load connected?
Test button does not connect to earth so it will still work. Only problem I have had is with three phase RCD's being used on single phase where selected the wrong two phases so button did not work.

Although except those with an earth fly lead as with some RCBO's swapping will work OK. What happens when some one does not realise they have been swapped latter? One can see the scenario where only one cable is removed and when replaced they go by the markings.

If not option then yes but does need to be clearly re-marked so no mistakes in the future.

I wonder if it would make a difference if the RCCD had a functional earth wire?

Probably

RCBO diagram

vl16-32-rcbo-wiring-diagram.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back