Swapping out a Potterton boiler timer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently moved into a new house and the in-place central heating system is rather aged.

It's fitted with a Potterton EP3000 timer, which we're finding very restrictive. It only has two on/off times a day available and we're finding that the house is getting very cold in the middle of the night and day. We don't want to leave the heating on 24x7 though, all it really needs is a quick boost in the middle of the off periods, but we would need two more programmed on/off times to be able to do that.

So, I'm considering whether I could buy a replacement timer that has a more flexible system. Either one of those mechanical units where you click the out the required time in 15 minute intervals, or just a fully programable digital timer.

Can anyone let me know how difficult a DIY project this is likely to be, and maybe suggest an easy to fit replacement unit? The panel is in a dark corner of the uttility room so aesthetics are irrelevent, I just need something functional for not too much money that won't be a pain to swap in.

I have no experience with heating systems, but I do know my way round electrics and have done a fair bit of re-wiring in the house. I also work in computers so I'm very fimilar with assembling and dis-assembling electrical devices and playing about with internal connections. I'm hoping it should be as simple as taking out the old unit, then connecting the trailing wires to the appropriate terminals in the new unit.

Any advice or info appreciated.

Ian

Sponsored Links
if you feel confident and competent you should have no problem. its a straight forward swap with maybe the mounting plate to change.

EP`s are not usually the easiest of clocks to change as the backplate is usually used as a wiring centre so can confuse a lot of pros let alone the lay person.
The EP6002 will give you 3 on /offs and is a direct replacement straight onto backplate
Cant think of any that will give 4

Sponsored Links
usually it looks scary but you're mostly just removing links in it. i suppose its easier for me as i have thw wiring swap guide on my laptop :) , though most progs come with a change guide anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back