swapping switches for two- and three-gang switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The electrician seems have wired up the two- and three-gang light switches so that the left switch is for the right-hand lamp and so on. Quirky! My question is how easy is it to swap the switches around? Or should I just live with it (since the switches do work)?

I've rewired lamps and sockets before. I'm in Singapore and the wiring appears to follow British standards. (In any case, the switches are British made MK switches.) There's a brass switch that is earthed (yellow/green). Otherwise, there's red, black and blue wires.

Sponsored Links
When you look at the back of the multi gang switch you should be able to fairly easilly identify which group of connections belong to which switch (if in doubt take a photo and post it here). Provided there is sufficiant slack on the wires it should be a simple matter of moving the wiring between the switches.

Make sure you make a good record of what went where before you start moving wires.

Make sure you isolate power before starting work.

Thanks, plugwash. I might post a photo then, though there are three switches involved.
---
Here is one:

I realise it's not very sharp and see that there's no blue. Do I just swap around the red and black on top; and two of the reds at the bottom; and leave the earth alone?

Sponsored Links
Back