Switch ‘RCD Controlled Circuits’ tripping after new extension

Sponsored Links
Well, it was the Op who mentioned it first ...
Not by my reading
When the switch goes we lose downstairs lights, sockets and cookers.
Then efli brought up ovens
The two ovens would appear to be 'on' the other RCD
Do you lose any circuits not on that RCD?
Then the op made it clear they didn't know the RCD covers all the circuits to the left
The only switch to trip is the one labelled ‘RCD Controlled Circuits’. .......
Is it right that the oven and kitchen sockets stop working even though their labelled switches on the board remain ‘on’ and it’s just the RCB switch that’s off?
He is focusing on the switches mismatch issue not the actual appliances at this point

Not by my reading...
Fair enough - I was looking at EFLI's second reference to the two ovens, forgetting that he had mentioned it earlier.

However, in the inital post the OP wrote ....
... but I accept that you may be right in your assumption that 'cookers' meant just the hobs, not the ovens.
Then the op made it clear they didn't know the RCD covers all the circuits to the left ... He is focusing on the switches mismatch issue not the actual appliances at this point
Yes, I understand that. You may well be right - as I said, that would certainly mean that the OP'd experiences would make a bit more sense.

However, assuming that everything is happening in relation to the same RCD, rather than the 'heavy load' you talked about, I would be more inclined to think in terms of my suggestion that there might be accumulated small leaks to earth which sometimes gets added to by a 'last straw' - don't forget that he has said that on one occasion it was plugging in his laptop that resulted in an RCD trip.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
It only happens when we have a house full with two cookers in use, ...

Is it right that the oven and kitchen sockets stop working even though their labelled switches on the board remain ‘on’ and it’s just the RCB switch that’s off?

There is obviously confusion between two cookers and the oven - when there are circuits for hob and two for oven.

Could well be, so maybe Rocky's suggestions want so bad!
All-RCBO setups are, in my opinion, not necessarily 'all good' in terms of fault finding. They probably could be if (like, I believe, is the case with some very expensive bits of kit) they gave an indication of whether they had tripped as a result of over-current or residual current.

However, without such an indication it can sometimes be quite frustrating not to know 'what sort of trip' has happened. That's not usually too much of a problem if the circuit is 'dedicated' to some load, but if it's a typical sockets circuit (often with various hard-wired loads as well as sockets), one can sometimes end up 'cursing RCBOs' (well, I have!).

Kind Regards, John

Agreed, and very expensive! I wasn't clear I was replying to you
Yes, I realised that, and I also agree that having RCBOs (or, I suppose, umpteen RCDs!) can go a fair way to reducing the 'accumulated small leaks to earth' problem - although it may not be as good at that as one may think, given that it is probably quite common for a lot of the 'small leaks' to arise in the 'ground floor sockets' circuit.

Kind Regards, John

There is obviously confusion between two cookers and the oven - when there are circuits for hob and two for oven.
TBH I have never understood this.

A hob is a worktop with hot spots.

An oven is a cupboard which gets hot.

A cooker combines a hob and 1 or more ovens.

To be honest I'm not sure who I'm a greater fan of. Depends on which way the wind is blowing. Call me fickle maybe...

Hi

As the OP I can confirm we have two cookers and they were both in use and both go off when the switch trips. The two switches on the board labelled cooker do not go off though. I am not referring to the hob.

Sorry I did not see these updates sooner or I could have prevented the speculation.

Starting to sound like my electrics are no good if cookers go off when their associated switches remain on!

screenshot_1475.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back