Switch the way a door opens

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible to switch the side a door opens from?

Our kitchen door currently opens from the right and hits the worktop behind it and the other side is much more open so wondering if it possible without getting a new door or chiselling for hinges on the other door edge?

Sponsored Links
Jaayson, good evening.

Do you intend to have the door opening as it is into the room, but hinged on the opposite side of the door frame?

Or?

Do you want to have the door opening into the other room?

Ken

Hi Ken

Thanks for your response, the door will still open in to the same room just hinged on the other side of the door frame. I know this would leave the small area of where the hinges have been chiseled in the gram but the idea would me to use wood filler and repaint the frame.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I did this for one of our doors. It was more than just taking the door off and turning it around. I had to recut recesses into the door and the frame for the hinges. I got the right length and width but depth was harder with just a mallet and chisel. I also had to cut a new recess in the frame for the mortise lock. More than that, the previous fitter had shaved a bit off the bottom of the door so it wasn't square. When the door was originally fitted, it was square and opened freely. When I had it open from the otherwise, it was no longer square and it took me a bit of fiddling with packing the hinges to get it reasonably good.

EDIT: Don't forget the door latch will need to be switched around too.

https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/flipping-an-internal-door.513076/

Jaayson, good evening, again.

What type of door are you intending to "Flip" ?

Can I suggest that you have a really good look @? the door frame, are the frame legs "Plumb"? are the dimentions equal between the frames two legs over the entire height of the door? Is the size from floor to door lintel similar on both sides of the frame?

Loads of measuring, this will result in a better understanding of door fit.

One other "no-cost" option will be to remove the door and see what sort of a fit you get when the door is turned the other way around?, if a poor fit [see previous posts] stop and re-think? possibly a new door

Ken.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back