Switched light dimmers to be used in parallel ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to have light dimmers and also be able to control from two places in a room. I believe if I simply wire two in parallel then the one set to the highest level will "win". I want either to have total control. I remember there were some light dimmer types that could also be pressed like a switch. Is it possible to have two light dimmers and be able to use either to control the lights, by means of pressing the button and making it "master" ?

Sponsored Links
I would like to have light dimmers and also be able to control from two places in a room. I believe if I simply wire two in parallel then the one set to the highest level will "win".
Two way switches are not wired in parallel.

But you're right that two normal dimmers in a 2-way arrangement won't work.

I want either to have total control. I remember there were some light dimmer types that could also be pressed like a switch. Is it possible to have two light dimmers and be able to use either to control the lights, by means of pressing the button and making it "master" ?
You need a master-slave dimmer. Could be touch controlled, remote, both, have twiddly knobs - it's up to you. But master-slave is the vital aspect.

Please spend a bit of time learning how lighting circuits, 2-way switching etc, are wired, and how it all works, before you try to replace them. Electrical-installation-by-guesswork is not the best of ideas....

Master and slave may seem to be in parallel, however not quite that easy, there is normally a extra low voltage wire between the two switches that tell the master what to do.

For a British electronic switch to work, the light needs to draw a minimum amount of current which is used to drive the electronics. Adding extra switches often means the current also goes up. Be it a PIR triggered, remote control, or dimmer, the lamp needs to pass some current to work the switch, so switch on a light, then remove and refit light bulb, and light is off again.

Non British switches may have a neutral connected and work different.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back