switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I\\\'m living in France and I have a single hall light which is controlled by 3 rocker switches (not sure if that is the right term but they always spring back to their original position), or it was. Now the light stays illuminated permanently regardless of what I do with the switches. I\\\'ve tried the switches on a different circuit and they all work. A colleague says this sounds like a relay problem, could anyone provide some suggestions on resolving this problem. My knowledge of electrics is minimal but I\\\'d really like my hall light to work. Thanks :confused:

Sponsored Links
Your lighting system uses a relay, with multi-position momentary ptm (push-to-make) switches (hence the spring-loaded action) As far as I'm aware, the relay/system is known as "auto-alimentation".

It looks likely that the relay has energised to turn the light on, and got stuck.

How's your french??

You could talk to french DIY shed to see if they can help. Or there are french fora similar to this one where you could post as you have here.

You do say your knowledge of electrics is limited, so maybe it is best left to an electricien.

Thanks for you response

My french is pretty limited but I have a sympathetic colleague who helps out.

At the minute I'm just trying to get an understanding of the problem. so that if I get someone to look at it, at least I've got an idea of what they should be doing!

As for relays... where would it be? in the fuse box or somewhere in the circuitry?

Sponsored Links
Not sure. I suppose it depends how convenient the CU would be for the relay, but that seems a good place to start...

Maybe if you posted over on "Electrics outside UK" you may get a better response.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back