Switching a 13A socket from a light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,
I am a maintenance Engineer and am currently wiring my kitchen unit lights. I have under unit lighting controlled at the moment in 3 places in my kitchen from a wall switch.
I purchased a modular under unit light system from IKEA that includes sockets (max load of 13A through a spur). I would like to control these with my light switch.
I have ordered a solid state relay on ebay from Hong Kong that has a 240v AC 'coil' and the output is rated at 50A@240v.
Is it ok to use this after the spur to control the lights? i.e it is just the coil voltage going through the 1.5mm cable and 6A breaker and not the 13A load.
Thanks in advance Nigel

Sponsored Links
I purchased a modular under unit light system from IKEA that includes sockets (max load of 13A through a spur). I would like to control these with my light switch.
Do you have a neutral at the light switch?

I have ordered a solid state relay on ebay from Hong Kong
General rule of thumb - never, ever, ever buy electrical items from HK. Cheap on eBay was it? ;)

Is it ok to use this after the spur to control the lights? i.e it is just the coil voltage going through the 1.5mm cable and 6A breaker and not the 13A load.
Where are you going to get the supply that the relay would be switching?

Where and how do you propose to install the relay?

Thanks for the replies,
I do not have a neutral at the switch, the neutral for the relay will be fed from the lighting circuit along with the switch wire from the same circuit.
Yes the solid state relay was cheap, however I have bought a conventional relay from Maplins in the meantime with a 240vAC coil and the contacts are rated for 30A.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/30a-spdt-power-relay-240vac-n24aw
The idea of a solid state relay is that it is silent. Although I think I will probably go for the conventional relay on Safety grounds (CE certified etc)
The load will be fed via a spur and the relay contacts from my ring main.
I intend to mount the spur and relay above the kitchen cabinets on the wall out of line of sight.
Nigel

Sponsored Links
Would it not be possible and easier to put a switched FCU off the socket circuit in an accessible place?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back