Switching deck/wall lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

I have trawled this forum and noted the many different posts about deck lights etc. but can't find the answer I need...

I am nearly finishing my extension and have built decking along one side of the house. When the builders were here, I got them to provide feeds outside for 2 light points: 1 just above DPC for deck lights (240V walkovers with LED lamps like these: http://www.screwfix.com/prods/62550...ow-Level/Eterna-Ground-Decking-Light-IP68-50W
The other is above the doors for a 150w flood (or similar). Both are connected to the same switch inside, by the door, but not on a seperate FCU (normal domestic 1 way light switch)

SWMBO has also (now) mentioned her "need" for 3 wall lights by the main deck area, so my question is:

How is best to allow 3 different circuits (walk-overs, flood, wall lights) to be controlled differently from these 2 supplies.

I thought about using something like this http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Pumps_and_Aquatics_Index/Electrical_Fittings/index.html
using the feed intended for the deck lights as the input and outputs to the wall and deck lights, but this would mean the flood was on all the time :(

Anyone offer a decent way of doing this (preferably without having to open up any plaster inside 'cos I've just finished 8 months of skimming and decorating).

BTW, I've used Hituf, 3 core under the decking, but nothing's connected up yet (will get sparky to do it and, yes, he'll do all the notification and part P etc., but I just wanted everything to be right so he can sign it off OK.

Thanks for all your help,

:D [/url]

Sponsored Links
Oops, just realised something...

the reason I can't use the TLC box I linked is because Hituf (10mm OD) won't fit into the glands on the box (5-7mm) and can't change the glands 'cos bigger ones (20mm for 10.5mmOD) won't fit into the box
thanks

How was the supply to the lights provided?

If it was looped through the switch, why can't you just swap it for a 3-gang and create another switched supply?

BTW - that box looks plenty big enough to take 20mm glands....

Supply for the outside lights is from the lighting circuit in the new extension (from a new C/U).

Not looped through the switch unfortunately, just 2 cables in there - L1 (com) and L2.

I thought the box looked perfect (except the flood being on whenever I wanted any other deck / wall lights on) but I went to TLC today, looked at one and it won't accept Hituf or new 20mm glands.

:idea: What I've thought about now is this:
Use the "deck feed" to input into a similar box, like this http://www.screwfix.com/prods/95422...f/Weatherboxes/Weatherproof-Switch-Box-4-Way# and run one of the outputs up the wall to where the flood will be (and just forget about the existing feed for the flood), one output to the walk-overs and one to the newly required wall lights.
(Not sure about having all that cable running up the outside of the house, though) :confused:
If I do this, should I put a fused switch/FCU in place of the current lightswitch?
How should I go about making the redundant flood feed safe (bearing in mind it'll still be live?)

Any suggestions thankfully received. :)

Edit: Have just read the pdf for the Screwfix switch box and it states "Due to High inrush currents, DO NOT use for tungsten halogen lights." Maybe I'll just scrap the idea of a flood and fit a low wattage bulkhead above the door instead (and bump about in the dark when the flood would have been useful) :rolleyes:

Unless anyone knows where I can get a better switchbox without any current spikes, or how I should do it differently :?:

Sponsored Links
both boxes you have linked o are NOT suitable

If ever you see inside one you will find out why. They are not meant for use as switches for lights as such, just the ocasional thing like pond pump, uv, and if you must garden lights, they are not built to be used that much

So to plan F then (or is it G? :confused: )

Fit a IP65 JB to the "deck feed". 2 x outputs to the deck and wall lights with switches (something like a masterseal) in-line for independent switching.
Still not sure how to control the flood light separately, though.

Or, plan H:

Run the hituf under the deck to the walkovers (so I can finish laying the decking and my young kids will have to stop using the framework as an adventure playground)
Fix and connect the wall lights in place (with Hituf again?)
and get my sparky to fit whatever boxes and switches he feels suitable.
Again, I'm still not sure how to control the flood light separately.

Supply for the outside lights is from the lighting circuit in the new extension (from a new C/U).

Not looped through the switch unfortunately, just 2 cables in there - L1 (com) and L2.

I thought the box looked perfect (except the flood being on whenever I wanted any other deck / wall lights on)
But you were always going to have that problem - you got the spec wrong from the start, and never had enough switches.

If you weren't trying to add wall lights you would have had the floodlight and the decking lights switched together, so now you'll have the floodlight, decking and wall lights switched together.

Without getting access to the circuit so that you can take permanent live to more switches you aren't going to be able to get round that, as far as I can see...

but I went to TLC today, looked at one and it won't accept Hituf or new 20mm glands.
All I can say is that it must be minute if there's not enough space to enlarge the holes to 20mm....

but I went to TLC today, looked at one and it won't accept Hituf or new 20mm glands.
All I can say is that it must be minute if there's not enough space to enlarge the holes to 20mm....

both boxes you have linked o are NOT suitable

If ever you see inside one you will find out why. They are not meant for use as switches for lights as such, just the ocasional thing like pond pump, uv, and if you must garden lights, they are not built to be used that much

They are more a "novelty" than any thing of real use

GetGalleryThumbnail.rails

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back