switching economy lamps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an external porch light with a filament bulb controlled by a mechanical timer.

I want to use a low energy bulb (spiral/flourescent type) instead and upgrade the timer (possibly to electronic).

I read from some timer specs that they wont switch the new type of bulbs yet they work fine from a standard internal wall switch

Surely thats all a timer switch is, so why should there be a difference?

Sponsored Links
Some electronic timers use a solid state switch and not a relay. The solid state switch leaks a very small trickle of power when it is OFF. This is enough energy to make some LED lamps glow dimly and some lamps will store the trickle of energy until they have enough to light. This results in the lamp flashing hen switched off by the timer.

I understand now and know what to look for ((mechanical switching)
Thank you for your prompt reply - just a thought, some timers also say something about 11 watts minimum, can you help with this please?

Sponsored Links
Sorr- does the flashing only refer to LED lamps or flourescent lamps as well?

some timers also say something about 11 watts minimum, can you help with this please?
Either because the timer has electronic switching which requires a minimum current to operate correctly,
or
if the timer is of the sort which replaces a normal light switch, these are powered when the light is off due to a small current flowing through the lamp, and therefore the lamp must be of a certain minimum to ensure sufficient current flows to operate the timer. Capacitors can usually be added in these instances if the load is too small.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back