Low Energy Bulbs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a small block of flats and the carpark area is lit by security lights controlled by a timer switch. This is set to come on when it goes dark and switch off the following morning. We have eight lights and these are of the drum type lit by a normal 60W bulb. The lights are on for around ten hours a night at present and the timer is adjusted in winter when they are on for as much as fifteen hours at a time.

In addition to the electricity consumed, we are forever replacing the bulbs as I understand that standard bulbs only last for around 2000 hours.

To reduce the energy consumption we would like to replace the bulbs with low energy ones. These have the added advantage - so the packet says - of lasting upto 8000 hours. However the diagram included in the instructions appears to indicate that these bulbs should not be used with timer switches - is this correct??? If we do go ahead and replace the bulbs what would happen???

Any help and advice would be much appreciated - particularly if it means that I do not have to get the ladder out every weekend to replace yet another bulb!!!

Sponsored Links
are you sure it says time switches? there is no problem with using them with time switches, even photo cells, most street signs use them and they are either on 24/7, time switch or photo cell

Thanks for replying Breezer.

The original packet only had symbols on it that appeared to indicate that the bulb should not be used with a timer switch. I have now purchased another low energy bulb from a different manufacturer which says quite clearly on the instructions "Not suitable for dimming and electronic switches".

The lights are controlled by a timer of the type that rotates every 24 hours. The on and off positions are adjustable and when the switch reaches these positions it switches the lights on or off as required.

Is this the type of "electronic switch" that the instructions say the bulb should not be used with? This application seems ideal for low energy bulbs but I am wary of installing these bulbs if it is going to cause damage :confused: :confused: :confused:

Sponsored Links
i can not see a problem, the only thing you can not do is to try and dim them. "electronic switches" are just that, they use electronics to switch, timers and photcells use a mechanical movement to operate.(as a "normal switch does, your timer is electro mechanical, it uses a motor to turn a disc, which in turn presses a switch.

as i said countless street signs use them with no ill effect

seeing as you now have 2 why not try them?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back