Switching electric element in Dimplex towel rail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a dud electrical element in a Dimplex TDTR350W

http://www.dimplex.co.uk/products/d...ils/dtr_eco_range/technical_specification.htm

It has a blank plate on the bottom of one side and the element on the other. There is a bleed valve at the top of one side.

Now I have a replacement part but the Dimplex installation instructions make me a bit nervous:

"The towel rail is a sealed unit and is filled and sealed under controlled conditions. Under no circumstances should the seal of the unit be compromised"

My plan was simply to
(1) put the thing upside down, switch the element
(2) wire it in and heat it up for a few hours
(3) relieve pressure through the bleed valve until it doesn't need bleeding

Now I can't think why Dimplex wouldn't want someone to service their parts like that? Any experts out there who can shed any light on this?

Sponsored Links
Well, in the context of replacing the element I would read that as make sure that it is sealed properly afterwards. (Though it really just looks like one of those meaningless statements you get on things nowadays, obviously you have to unseal it to replace it.)

Just do it as you are intending, sounds fine to me :)

I hope that you have professional indemnity insurance when you give advice like that!

That's something professionals have, but amateurs don't!

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'd feel more comfortable if I knew what Dimplex are so worried about in their instructions.

Anyone ever done this themselves?

Sponsored Links
I've installed several towel rails that weren't plumbed into any ch system that comprised an ordinary towel rail and an element bought seperately. No need to vent the rail after fitting. It is poss an oil-filled rail, so make sure that you keep the oil that's in it already.

It will be filled to less than the capacity of the rail to allow expansion. When I have made my own up, I just add water with a little corrosion inhibitor mixed in to 90% of rail's capacity.

Just swap the element and put rail on wall. Leave for a while to check for leaks, then switch on. Job's a good 'un.

Thanks, appreciate the advice.

The radiator does look like a conventional towel rail. I can hear the water sloshing around inside when I move it. I'll plan to just keep what's in there and not mess with the level.

I've got two of these rails exactly the same model and appearance but a year apart in age. I've found that one has a bleed valve at the top and one doesn't. Not sure why?

Dimplex advised not breaking the seal to change the element. I couldn't get a clear view why though it did sound a bit like covering themselves.

I'll follow your advice and common sense it, whatever DryTech means in practice it's still a liquid filled towel rail at the end of the day.

I think the Drytech ones are a different range (and maybe more recent?) .

I think they are just badly written instructions, and have included a general warning, without actually thinking about the context.

I hope that you have professional indemnity insurance when you give advice like that!

That's something professionals have, but amateurs don't!

Fortunately I'm not (in this context) giving professional advice, there is a disclaimer when you sign up to DIYnot, and in the end , my advice is worth exactly what was paid for it :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back