Switching port

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a fibre line into my office which then feed a network switch which then routes to about 50 other network ports around my building.

If one of the rooms had a 3 port wall mounted switch built onto the wall and that is proving insufficient for my needs, can one of those Ethernet cables feed a new standalone TP link or whatever network hin in that room to extended the wired capabilities of other devices? What’s the downside of that ie ip number sharing?

Sponsored Links
Also what is the best all round WiFi extender for the office to use to connect to my BT fibre WiFi? Better to go with mesh or just standard extender?

Hi

I have a fibre line into my office which then feed a network switch which then routes to about 50 other network ports around my building.

If one of the rooms had a 3 port wall mounted switch built onto the wall and that is proving insufficient for my needs, can one of those Ethernet cables feed a new standalone TP link or whatever network hin in that room to extended the wired capabilities of other devices? What’s the downside of that ie ip number sharing?

You cannot normally share the IP's, each device must have it's own unique IP identity. DHCP will allocate the different IP's and the DHCP allocation will be all controlled by one router, your main one.

It sounds like you could use an "unmanaged switch" unless there's some unusual network config. IP addresses are assigned (fixed or dynamic) at the end-point, such as laptop, desktop, etc., so they shouldn't really come into it in relation to the network ports. You should be able to plug a new switch into a spare wall port and use the rest of the available ports on this switch for nearby devices. The only downside is that those devices would share the bandwidth of that one network cable to the rest of the network.

Sponsored Links
What’s the downside of that ie ip number sharing?

The cable itself is not assigned an IP address, the computing device connected to (normally) it requests an IP address. As @spoodie says, an unmanaged switch should suffice (subject to the caveats that were mentioned).

The cable itself is not assigned an IP address, the computing device connected to (normally) it requests an IP address.

A device can be allocated a permanently reserved IP, in the DHP server table, so it can always be found at the same IP.

A device can be allocated a permanently reserved IP, in the DHP server table, so it can always be found at the same IP.

True, but my point was that it is the device, and not the cable that is assigned an IP address.

I often tell the the DCHP server to set items as printers, additional routers as fixed IP addresses. And as an aide memoire, I assign higher range IP addresses. I won't automatically recognise a device by MAC address but the fact that it has a higher IP address reminds me that it is something that I statically assigned.

I often tell the the DCHP server to set items as printers, additional routers as fixed IP addresses. And as an aide memoire, I assign higher range IP addresses. I won't automatically recognise a device by MAC address but the fact that it has a higher IP address reminds me that it is something that I statically assigned.

Likewise here, except I assign fixed IP's at the low range.

Likewise here, except I assign fixed IP's at the low range.

I go for something like 192.168.0.100 , primarily because most routers can only assign 32 wifi addresses and those tend to be mixed in with fixed devices.

Thanks. Spoodie, When you say switch, you mean even one of those TP devices costing circa £25 that has another 4 or 5 ports or one of those larger Cisco arrays that go on the cupboard?

Thanks. Spoodie, When you say switch, you mean even one of those TP devices costing circa £25 that has another 4 or 5 ports or one of those larger Cisco arrays that go on the cupboard?
I guess you mean TP-Link and yes, a basic 5 port unmanaged switch will cost around that much. These kind of things will work and it's just a case of how many ports do you want in the particular area. Perhaps 1 or more smaller switches in different locations would be most useful. They usually have mounting holes to help hide them away under desks. Or use velcro strips like I do.

I'd suggest at least gigabit speed. I can see 100MB ones available for very cheap, but they could end up being annoyingly slow.

This will probably serve your needs, remember you lose one port as the input. Cheap as chips

Sponsored Links
Back