Switzerland declines to approve AstraZeneca vaccine

The Swiss are not suggesting a 'dud', but just asking for more data. I don't know how the Swiss vaccination programme is progressing there, but suggest they are using a different vaccine and in no rush for the AZ. After all, there aren't many Swiss to inject? :whistle:;)
Yes I agree.

My MIL had the AZ vaccine shot, so I was slightly concerned over questions of its efficacy, hence the thread.

Sponsored Links
It's fine if the swiss don't want that vaccine - more for us then.

have we got a dud?
The **** you on about?

Whats the swiss rules for MOTs, keeping guns at home, home repair contracts, food additives, income tax, concrete mixes, stair balustrade spacing?

Different to the UK? Omg the UK must be wrong.

FFS.

Sponsored Links
There is a study in the lancet showing it’s working well as a single shot. It is also showing a good ability to reduce transmission. Separately they are looking at the benefits of mixing jabs and are expecting to get better results by doing so.

i think I’d rather get the vaccine out quickly and lift lockdown sooner rather than hold off for more data on older people. It’s all about balance.

There was a big screw up in the phase 3 trial that resulted in under dosed patients and confusion around the results. That suggests a problem with the data. Soon we will know how effective it is.
It does reflect the limitations of the AZ trials and data.
AZ initially recommended a three week gap between shots. Only now has it been suggested that a longer period between shots may be more effective.
This indicates the shortfall in trials, etc. It would suggest that initial recommended period was arrived at arbitrarily.
The mistake made in the half-dose saga giving better results, coupled with this adjustment in the ideal period between doses suggests a less than rigorous approach in the trials, albeit, it has to be recognised that development and trials have been accelerated and run in parallel.
But when this is considered along with AZ's vagueness and obtuseness in its explanations to EU, let us hope that their data is based on genuine research and trials.

I don't think that the current improvement in confirmed cases can be attributed to the vaccination program. It is due to the current restrictions in place on social distancing, etc. This beneficial reduction in confirmed cases could have been achieved before.

The cock up is one aspect the other is the USA trial that was stopped for a while due to side effects and then the data itself for older people. There is also the effectiveness question even from the results.

Put it all together and if a country feels like it can manage without and use another instead they will. Cost is also a major factor in choosing to use AZ. In some ways using out of the vulnerable age range makes sense in that respect but that didn't seem to be the intent.

Fact though no one can be 100% sure what's what before people have been jabbed and infections spread which ever one is used. They will as no one can stop in lock down for ever and some infections probably still occur then.

Another UK first is the trial to establish if mix matching the Pfeizer/AZ vaccine can improve efficacy. No doubt the EU will put down any +ve findings.

There was also talk of trials about combining the Oxford vaccine with the Sputnik vaccine

apparently they are very similar ?

There was also talk of trials about combining the Oxford vaccine with the Sputnik vaccine

Boris will have to be careful and ready to counter the accusations that the Russians are manipulating our NHS. ;)

Yes. It's AZ who is looking at that. Both seem to be virus based so easier to use. Russia sent 10,000 doses to Iran and another 400,000 in the next few weeks. High 90% effectiveness has been mentioned for that one ~98% I think. Mention was made of 1 or 2 doses but no clear details;

As things are happening I took in some of Aljazeera news. Oxford lady was on there as well. Also some none covid world news which was interesting.

Oxford are going to look at the effect of spacing the dose of AZ and Pfizer first which seems a little odd as lots will have had spaced doses by the time it's over. Then dose 1 with one and dose 2 with the other, spacing ???. AZ has also started looking at possibilities of a Mk2 which I would assume would be done by Oxford again.

The Lancet article has been said to be based on scant evidence and part based on another vaccine where 1000 people missed their 2nd dose. That was an mRNA one. The actions taken will probably come out of the wash ok anyway but .............. The rational is that it will achieve something in terms of the aims.

Yes I agree.

My MIL had the AZ vaccine shot, so I was slightly concerned over questions of its efficacy, hence the thread.

Don't be. What they are doing is based on all seeming to have the same effect on the immune system and where they have been tested with mutations around they have been ok with that as well but not the SA one according to reports from SA.

The dose spacing should be helped by bringing infection levels well down. That reduces all peoples chances of catching it again and they are telling all people who have the jab to continue to take care. Motorbiking doesn't seem to be able to get his head around the real nature of the problem that I outlined in another thread that explains why the world is going mad trying to find a long term solution for covid. They will have another wave if they don't take care and may do anyway. They are even currently worried about next winter assuming spring and summer will be ok.

Sponsored Links
Back