Swivel mixer tap loose, but bolt is fully tightened...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm new to DIY and trying to learn and not give up when confronted with problems.

I have a mixer tap in my kitchen whose base turns with the long nozzle of the tap. I found advice online that said the nut is loose and to tighten it. I attempted to do it but it's already fully tightened, so can't figure out what the issue is.

1uH2IQ4.jpg

Sponsored Links
Remove the nut ,put a couple of washers on the thread then re fit nut . Get some one to hold the tap as you do up nut .That should do the trick

If it’s an easy fit type tap there may be a grub screw loose on the tap body above the sink

Blup

Firstly use a box/tube spanner to make sure it really is tight, if that fails remove the tap and thoroughly clean and dry the base of the tap and the surfaces around the hole. There should be a rubber o ring between tap and sink... these get slimy with grease.and cleaning products so try and revive or replace it... And, if you've gone this far you might consider just getting a new tap ;)

Sponsored Links
I'm new to DIY and trying to learn and not give up when confronted with problems.

I have a mixer tap in my kitchen whose base turns with the long nozzle of the tap. I found advice online that said the nut is loose and to tighten it. I attempted to do it but it's already fully tightened, so can't figure out what the issue is.

1uH2IQ4.jpg
How did you tighten it, with a box spanner? Not easy otherwise, though yours looks more accessible than some I've worked on.
There may not be room for flat washers. An alternative is to use a distance piece, and a length of 1/4" steel tube is ideal. If you cut it the right length you can get on the nut with an ordinary socket spanner, but in any case it makes the nut easier to get at with a ring or open-end.
And make sure the threaded rod is screwed right into the body, often there's a screwdriver slot in the end, but yours hasn't, unless it's upside down. It might be worth removing the rod and cleaning up the threads, as well as the O-ring etc that dilalio mentioned.
It doesn't look as if there are flexibles. Good thing as it makes the tap more rigid on a thin stainless steel sink, but I'd be careful about rotating the tap body (before you've fixed it) or you might cause a leak.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back