synchron motors

Bernard, I deal with Rob (underfloor htg1) but they don't hold boiler spares.
All the spares for the boilers Eco sold were bought by a couple of ex. Eco service engineers that now do the servicing for these boilers, mine included.
The problem is the spares are reducing down hence this thread
Paul

Sponsored Links
If the motor coil is open circuit, you may be able to transfer the gearbox, or its contents, from the old to the new motor. The motors spin either way when energised and the gearbox determines which way the output shaft rotates by using a one way stopping device. If you spread the peened over bits, a small screwdriver can be used to prise out and remove the cover; exposing the innards, and when refitting either re-peen the original lugs or make a couple of new ones with a small chisel or screwdriver etc. (It's only thin steel)

If, however the fault is a stripped fibre gear (shock absorption one), you may need to just replace that from the new one.

Gavin

Not sure what you want Bernard, the top of the motor casing states "SYNCHRON made in USA nothing on the underside and (SA) after the manufacturers product details shown on the previous thread.
Gavin I will do what you suggest, I did this once before but the problem was mechanical
Thanks
Paul

Sponsored Links
Never seen one like that !

What is the defect in the original ? is the brass cog in good,not worn condition ?

edit,just seen gavgas post. you could just change the motor.

They do come apart,never done that thou only found out when kicking one around. Looks like they are push fit with tabs to prise away.

The plate that holds the spindle and cog could also be removed so it could be swapped over again prise it off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gavin, I split the motor and the mechanical side is in good order so I fitted it to the new motor and it drives ok but in the wrong direction.
It is driving the actuator to the stop where it's normally at rest.
If we could get the motor to drive in the opposite direction then problem resolved but until then ?
Thanks
Paul

The is more than one way to make a synchronous motor go in the desired direction. I suggest that you carefully compare the two motors and see if there are any reversed connections or asymetrical bits that might explain it.

So far no luck with cross reference on the part number.

Replacing the motor is a option but if the motor is held stalled when operated then over heating may be a problem

My one concern would be the Premotec motors are designed for continuous rotation, the heating control style motors are a "sloppy" design capable of being stalled for hours and days, the Premotec ones don't like that situation and complain.

The is more than one way to make a synchronous motor go in the desired direction. I suggest that you carefully compare the two motors and see if there are any reversed connections or asymetrical bits that might explain it.

I agree, there must be something governing motor direction, even if it's just a pawl but that's usually in the gearbox. You can pop the top off the motor and turn it by hand the right way to see if there's resistance. If there is, you should be able to see what affects rotation direction.

I agree, there must be something governing motor direction, even if it's just a pawl but that's usually in the gearbox. You can pop the top off the motor and turn it by hand the right way to see if there's resistance. If there is, you should be able to see what affects rotation direction.

Not sure how you create the blue coloured box with the quotes in it as above)

I dismantled the motor today, as follows
The gearbox detached from the motor revolves in each direction freely.
The motor revolves in each direction freely.
Stripping the motor down to where the wiring enters the motor body there is no circuitry that could dictate direction from what I could see, I wonder if direction is in the way the motor is wound?
Is this where we accept defeat and hand this thread over to the "electrics forum"?
Thanks for your interest and I hope we kept Ian's attention right to the end.
Paul

there is no circuitry that could dictate direction from what I could see,

Is there a loop of thick copper wire around part of stator ( stator is the metal on which coil is wound ) ? If there is then the change in the magnetic field in that part of the stator is delayed relative to the rest of the stator. Hence there is a rotation in the magnet field that drives the rotor. Hence the motor runs in one direction.

Not sure how you create the blue coloured box with the quotes in it as above)

I dismantled the motor today, as follows
The gearbox detached from the motor revolves in each direction freely.
The motor revolves in each direction freely.
Stripping the motor down to where the wiring enters the motor body there is no circuitry that could dictate direction from what I could see, I wonder if direction is in the way the motor is wound?
Is this where we accept defeat and hand this thread over to the "electrics forum"?
Thanks for your interest and I hope we kept Ian's attention right to the end.
Paul
Go on then ;)

Is there a loop of thick copper wire around part of stator ( stator is the metal on which coil is wound ) ? If there is then the change in the magnetic field in that part of the stator is delayed relative to the rest of the stator. Hence there is a rotation in the magnet field that drives the rotor. Hence the motor runs in one direction.
:rolleyes: Are your fingers hurting :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back