Synthaprufe vs Wickes "Liquid Damp Proof Membrane"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Background in case you're interested: I want to convert my cellar into a usable living space (home cinema, no need to add a window, which is handy). One (cavity) wall of the cellar is up against soil. (The other three walls are "internal" - one against my neighbour's cellar and two against my adjacent cellar rooms.) It's a little damp in the room - humidity meter reads about 90% (compared to 60% elsewhere in the house) but there is no wet rot, the bricks are not wet to the touch, and the previous owners kept books in there with no ill effects as far as I know. It's currently not terribly well ventilated, which might account for some of the humidity. My guess is a very small ingress through the front wall, coupled with poor ventilation.

I have been told by two builders who have seen it, and one who hasn't, that a coating of Synthaprufe on the walls, plastered over with normal plaster, will do the trick. Sounds good to me. (Actually I might put some thermal insulation on the against-the-soil wall, then plasterboard.)

My question is just whether Wickes "Liquid Damp Proof Membrane" (at £32 for 25 litres) is in effect the same, and as good, as the stuff branded as Synthaprufe, at £130-odd for 25 litres.

Also interested to know whether people would generally bother with this stuff (Synthaprufe, Wickes equivalent, or other) on the three not-against-soil walls. All need plastering anyway, so no great shakes, but I won't bother if it's a waste of time/money.

Thanks!
-Mark

Sponsored Links
Cant say for sure if its the same stuff but I use the cheaper stuff now days with no problems, to be sure I'd tank the whole basement/cellar. No point doing a bit, plastering and finding you have a damp patch.

If the wall that you plan to insulate is pretty good you can bed the jablite on the wall in to the still wet membrane.

Get at least three coats. If you have and holes fill them first with a strong motar mix.

No worries, happy to help, (stuck in doors with the flu!) also dont puncture the membrane fixing the plaster board, use a suitable adhesive to stick the boards to the insulation, which in turn should be stuck to the membrane.

Sponsored Links
Ah, that's interesting. So I can't drill through it? How do I mount radiators and other heavy things?

Ta,
Mark

Just like putting a hole in a water tank, well maybe not as bad..

If you deffinatly have to fix heavy stuff, just do it on the walls that are not against earth and use stainless screws.

That's a bit of a pain, as that's exactly the wall I wanted the radiator on... perfect place for several reasons.

Oh well, better to know now than when the screws rust and it comes crashing off the wall in two years' time, I suppose..!

Thanks!

I know the OP was some while ago, but in answer to
My question is just whether Wickes "Liquid Damp Proof Membrane" (at £32 for 25 litres) is in effect the same, and as good, as the stuff branded as Synthaprufe, at £130-odd for 25 litres.

The Wickes product is Laybond Aquaprufe made by Bostik. Don't know if it's as good as Synthaprufe or better but it is similar

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back