Damp proofing / water proof liquid membranes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - We have an old property with a DPC, we have taken a path away around the house to expose old red brick below DPC level and need to waterproof them. The house is showing minimum damp levels at skirting board height only and not of great concern, as all the guttering and drains were blocked an overflowing so it should be resolved with clearing and removing the path. We have looked at paining on Synthaprufe, but it is quite expensive and wonder if there is anything cheaper, but still as effective?

We also have to tank an inside wall, which it is below path level from the window down and wonder if we would use the same stuff and then replaster over it?

Thanks for your help - as you can see we are complete novices!

Sponsored Links
Ordinarily, there is no need to waterproof bricks below DPC. The bricks should dry out now you have lowered the external ground level. Are these walls solid or cavity?

Re the tanking, Synthaprufe is expensive but it is good stuff. I would not recommend anything cheaper.

Hi Alex I have just sealed a floor in a conservatory and I used a product called DryBase, its a liquid DPM and I found it to be a great product!
I put down three coats and formed a tank up two bricks.
One 5ltr can will do 4.5 square mtrs.
I bought two 5ltr cans but only need the one, its unopened and retails at £50 per can.
Yours for £20!!...I was just about to put it in the freeads.
Im near Southampton if your interested?
Cheers

philpug";p="1962668 said:
Hi Alex I have just sealed a floor in a conservatory and I used a product called DryBase, its a liquid DPM and I found it to be a great product!
I put down three coats and formed a tank up two bricks.
One 5ltr can will do 4.5 square mtrs.
I bought two 5ltr cans but only need the one, its unopened and retails at £50 per can.
Yours for £20!!...I was just about to put it in the freeads.
Im near Southampton if your interested?
Cheers

Thanks for advice. Unfortunately, I live in Wales!

Sponsored Links
Ordinarily, there is no need to waterproof bricks below DPC. The bricks should dry out now you have lowered the external ground level. Are these walls solid or cavity?

Re the tanking, Synthaprufe is expensive but it is good stuff. I would not recommend anything cheaper.

Hi - The house is 300 - 400 years old and the bricks are in ok condition considering their age. They did look awful at first as were wet and powdery, but now they have dried and we have brushed them they look ok. As they have been damp for years I though I would waterproof them to stop any further damage.

The other job is the kitchen wall - We are replacing the the kitchen and am sure when we remove the old one there will be damp penetration as the window is path level - Am I right that you don't just paint synthaprufe over the plaster and have to knock off all old plaster and paint the bricks then re plaster? Can I also use synthaprufe on the floor underneath the units where it is untiled?

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back