System boiler flow temperature fluctuates wildly

That does not seem correct, can you ensure all rads are calling for heat, may have to increase roomstats SP and open TRVs fully and repeat that test with no HW request.
Yeah I'll do this tomorrow. I tried it with just the non-TRV rads on and the dial set even lower, still went up to 65C or something. It's definitely not working properly - either that or my thermometer. If I select type E thermocouples on my thermometer instead of type K the numbers look right :) But they are definitely stamped as type K.

It was 11 last night and 16 during the day here, and my room is now 19C inside. The forecast for the next week is for highs of 16-18C and lows of 13-14C.

Sponsored Links
I had a bath this morning, immediately after the gas boiler had fired to bring my cylinder up to 60C. My system logs exactly what and when it is used constantly, so after my bath I was able to check how much gas it had burned bring my cylinder back up to 60C - it claimed to cost 2.86Kwh and 29p to recover.
Sounds like it reheated 50 litres of water, if cold input was 15C.

Great data. What sort of set up is that?

It's Opensource weather station logging software called Cumulous MX, it works with lots of station models and manufacturers. The outdoor sensors are 30 yards away, mounted on the rear of my workshop, every minute, it wirelessly transmits its to my indoor display. The indoor display forwards its data set to a RasberryPi, which runs the Cumulus MX.

Cumulus MX then presents a series of web pages, to display graphs, and lots of pages of data it has collected over years, via my LAN, as well as sending data out to various agencies, including Met Office..

It's Opensource weather station logging software called Cumulous MX, it works with lots of station models and manufacturers. The outdoor sensors are 30 yards away, mounted on the rear of my workshop, every minute, it wirelessly transmits its to my indoor display. The indoor display forwards its data set to a RasberryPi, which runs the Cumulus MX.

Cumulus MX then presents a series of web pages, to display graphs, and lots of pages of data it has collected over years, via my LAN, as well as sending data out to various agencies, including Met Office..
It's so cool. That would be really useful for understanding heat loss.

Would it be easy to do a chart just showing outdoor temperature since the start of October, as a daily average over 24 hours?

Sponsored Links
This is the gadget I now use to tap into my Smart Meter's data, on my Iphone...

It's called 'Bright' and it's free. It shows lots of data, not available on the indoor display, they provide with the meters..
1666716134704.jpeg

Would it be easy to do a chart just showing outdoor temperature since the start of October, as a daily average over 24 hours?

It logs the data continuously, so no reason why you shouldn't pull out the data and turn it into what ever graph you fancy.

Here is the NOAA report it has generated for October so far..
1666716905563.png

Last edited:
This is the gadget I now use to tap into my Smart Meter's data, on my Iphone...

It's called 'Bright' and it's free. It shows lots of data, not available on the indoor display, they provide with the meters..

Can you use it even if you don't have an indoor display? I've been waiting since February for mine.

I'm doing a bit of research here, on heating just my living room with my radiant gas fire, rather than the whole place up...

I had to look up radiant gas fire. We had this when I was growing up, I think Mum called it a "gas miser". I wonder how efficient they were back then? Gave out lots of heat. I only have a open flame fire from 30 years ago, which could well only be 40% efficient.
Cannon gas miser.jpg

It logs the data continuously, so no reason why you shouldn't pull out the data and turn it into what ever graph you fancy.

Here is the NOAA report it has generated for October so far..
Fantastic. That's just what I wanted.

Can you use it even if you don't have an indoor display? I've been waiting since February for mine.

Yes, your meter uploads to a central server, then the App gets data back from the server. How current the data is, varies, sometimes 30 minutes old, sometimes up to 24 hours old, but you get access to all of it.
I had to look up radiant gas fire. We had this when I was growing up, I think Mum called it a "gas miser". I wonder how efficient they were back then? Gave out lots of heat. I only have a open flame fire from 30 years ago, which could well only be 40% efficient.

I still keep one tucked away, with a full tank of gas - just in case ;) I would guess they were 100% efficient, none of the heat can be lost.

The open flame fires were terrible.

Yes, your meter uploads to a central server, then the App gets data back from the server. How current the data is, varies, sometimes 30 minutes old, sometimes up to 24 hours old, but you get access to all of it.
Hopefully I won't be popping outside as much when it's cold with my torch to read the meter.

Hopefully I won't be popping outside as much when it's cold with my torch to read the meter.

For the actual numbers you will still have to use your torch - neither my indoor display, nor Bright, provide the actual readings, they just show consumption, when and cost.

Bright sell a separate display gadget, which might do that, but they are expensive at around £50.

For the actual numbers you will still have to use your torch - neither my indoor display, nor Bright, provide the actual readings, they just show consumption, when and cost.

Bright sell a separate display gadget, which might do that, but they are expensive at around £50.
That's perfect for me. I just want the consumption and the when.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back