System boiler without cylinder?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

Just looking for some guidance if possible, we have a greenstar 24i junior WB boiler - and a megaflow uncented cylinder in the loft.

We're about to have a loft conversion done - and I'm about to start arranging for a plumber to sort out the boiler and tank whilst the work Is done.

The question is - would it be possible/feasible to just remove the cylinder for a week or so - leaving the system boiler to give us hot water during that time? Obviously we will have less hot water (1 shower at a time and all...) but is it possible? Otherwise the plumber will need to keep coming back and moving the cylinder as they remove and add joists.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Without a cylinder, where's your hot water gonna come from?

How can you get hot water without your un-vented cylinder ? do you mean that you have electric showers ? your post makes no sense

Sponsored Links
if you take away your hot water cylinder you'll be left with only one method of getting hot water

HR43904.jpg

You could turn your system boiler into a combi using a plate heat exchanger but it's probably more trouble and money than its worth.

thats like saying can i drive my car without an engine

You can, a one way down hill trip with no power steering

You could turn your system boiler into a combi using a plate heat exchanger

Ot patch in a temporary vented cylinder and F&E tank ?

Or even better, work out a work schedule where the existing cylinder only has to be moved once.

Temporary cylinder somewhere with immersion to save on pipework.

Or, and easier (?), an electric instantaneous hot water heater, though it will be dodgy to get the right temperature with a shower.

Ok guys - gimme a break!

I (clearly wrongly) thought the greenstar was creating the hot water and then storing it in the cylinder - and potentially without the megaflow - we would just have slow flowing hot water on demand

But you have confirmed that I was wrong with that thought!

Thanks for the friendly advice!

hi

We're about to have a loft conversion done - and I'm about to start arranging for a plumber to sort out the boiler and tank whilst the work Is done.

Thanks
Just make sure the plumber has an unvented ticket for the megaflo. And gas safe for the boiler. And doesn't post on here:whistle:

He will be more likely to do it properly and charge more for his work.

You need a total bodger !

Actually I did that job once for someone using a cylinder and electric immersion heater.

It's simple!!

Get rads nice and hot,

Hose on radiator drain off to over top of shower rail,

Open filling loop on boiler,

Adjust flow from drain off,

Endless supply of hot water from hose,

Jeez' you guys are useless :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

:whistle:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back