T&G which way up?

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I am putting down some flooring ply.

the groove is not quite in the middle, one surface has a thicker lip than the other.

Is it best layed with the thick lip up or down?

Also, the last board will be about 20mm from the wall, with pipe obstructions. Will it be easier to put it in with the tongue going into the penultimate board's groove, or a groove if I lay each preceding board with the tongue facing out?

Sponsored Links
John can you take a photo as some plywood T&G have difference tongue

Normally it's the thickness bottom of the groove or the longest which support the tongue more

Sponsored Links
no writing

but on further examination it looks like the ply is symmetrical

sorry

It would not fit into the existing chipboard flooring, which is not symmetrical, but I intend to pull it up across the whole width of the room so it doesn't matter.

i will have a square-edged joint part way along the length of the room, I will place this over a sistered pair of joists so old chipboard and new ply both have a full bearing. I hope to do the other end of the room another time (it is the dining end of a k/d, and there is a half-height partial partition). the kitchen end is about 3150 long so i can't get both cut ends under a unit and at the partition :mad: and I can't move the partition because it aligns to steps.

so far I have found two pairs of sistered joists, don't know why, but, annoyingly, the joist spacing seems to have been maintained so that a 2440 board cannot not stand on a joist at each end. the old floor was built hoping the T&G would support the short ends (it didn't) which is why I am replacing with ply. I will cut it to place one square end just under the edge of the end kitchen units, which is OK, and one on a sistered joist which is the best i can manage. My joinery is inexpert so I will probably have a visible gap at the cut :( which I will try to fill in some way before putting down vinyl.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back