T&P relief valve leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a conventional boiler with unvented water cylinder. My heating system pressure has drops to 0.3bar every 3 to 4 days. I checked my water tank and notice this

WhatsApp Image 2023-12-23 at 18.50.06.jpeg

could that explain why I'm loosing pressure in my system?

Also more importantly does that look like its leaking from the tanks rather than the valve?

Advice most welcome. Thank you

Sponsored Links
Time to get a qualified Unvented chap in, hopefully that's just been weeping and that's just scale build up, it can then be cleaned and the valve properly sealed.

If not then that cylinder might need replaced. That's why it's so important to get an unvented cylinder serviced every year, same time as the boiler. As suggested though, that's not why your system is losing pressure

Leave well alone for now. It looks to have sealed itself.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice. I think its still weeping as it was wet to the touch. I'll look to get a qualified guy over to service it and get that addressed. Any recommendations for the south London area?

I'm not an expert but let me try explain the "why" part of the above answer "That is leaking, but is not the cause of your system pressure dropping".

There are 2 separate circuits: 1) For heating 2) For hot water supply to taps, baths. The temperature and pressure valve in the picture is on circuit 2).

Details here for example: https://www.unventedcomponentseurop...omponents Europe&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=3657.

The dropped pressure you are talking about affects circuit 1) only. More investigation is needed to find out where the leak is.

If the cylinder is a Megaflo then you can try https://www.megaflo-service.co.uk/. Alas, I stumbled them a couple of days ago - they haven't returned my call, hopefully just because that was around Christmas. Otherwise they promise a lot on their webpage.

@adrian_ros thanks! Thats my understanding too. And it looks like two separate issues. I need to get the cylinder looked at, as the water leaking doesn't look good. It maybe be due to 1 of several factors i.e. faulty valve, faulty expansion tank, faulty sensor etc... I have managed to find a local engineer to come and have a look.

Regarding the pressure drop, i've found the culprit. It was a faulty push fit stop end on a decommission 22mm pipe. I noticed it from a growing water stain on my ground floor ceiling. Pulled up the floor boards and managed to get access to it. Draining the system out i noticed a lot of black water which made me think that i need to install a magnaclean filter, so thats my next job. Going to get the Magnasafe pro 2 and pour in MC3+ and then MC1+.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back