Table saw advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am thinking of buying a table saw for general diy use.

I have found one that is within my budget, which is the SIP 03121.

Has anyone any experience with this table saw? Is it worth the money (£110), or should it be avoided?

Also, I've been reading on here that it is dangereous to use a table saw for cutting grooves in timber. Can someone please explain why? Can you buy a blade for a table saw that allows you to do so safely (are they called dado blades or something?)

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
the reason you cant groove on most tables is the gaurd and riving knife stick up above the the blade thus stopping the work as it exits the blade unless its fully cut through

on better quality tables the gaurd is supported from linkage on the side
and the riving knife drops with the blade thus allowing full protection of the work

without going ito great detail the only saws you can fit a dado head onto is a saw like the dewalt dw720

http://www.dm-tools.co.uk/product.p...dewalt_dw720&gclid=CJmd0YHQs4wCFRnjEAod-nvOIw

As BA says - the safest place to use a dado head (or in English a trenching head) is on a radial arm saw. If you want to groove timber, such as for kerfing it, a portable circular saw is a better and safer option

Scrit

Sponsored Links
I'm sure I once saw that "New Yankee Workshop" guy on TV sing a dado blade on a table saw (one of his many workshop power tools).

Perhaps I was mistaken.

:oops:

thediynovice said:
I'm sure I once saw that "New Yankee Workshop" guy on TV sing a dado blade on a table saw (one of his many workshop power tools).

Perhaps I was mistaken.

:oops:

you where correct but those saw are illegal over here

they need a long shaft and no brake which dont confirm to regs over here

unless you buy an old desighn like the dw720 thats unchanged for donkeys ;)

Thanks for your replies.

Would you recommend a table saw or a mitre saw for general DIY use then? (DIY meaning amateur who likes playing about with wood).

I read somewhere that table saws are suited to more tasks. Would you agree with this?

Thanks

thediynovice said:
Thanks for your replies.

Would you recommend a table saw or a mitre saw for general DIY use then? (DIY meaning amateur who likes playing about with wood).

I read somewhere that table saws are suited to more tasks. Would you agree with this?

Thanks

all depends what you plan on making

in general sheet material is better cut with a strait edge clamps and circular saw

if you just after diy and the odd bit of arcatrave making coffee tables and space is at a premium you could use a combination mitre saw for around £250 for a half decent one or a relativly cheap £122
http://www.toolstation.com/search.html?searchstr=38632

i dont know the first thing about sip but it gives you the idea

will say the benefits of table over chop/mitre saws a bit later

You may want to consider the Triton workcentre for what you are looking to achieve grooves in timber at a set depth.

H

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back