Table saw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, I've been looking at the B&Q Mac Allister table saw (254mm) which is now reduced to £103.99. I only require this for moderate diy use, I would appreciate any comments or reviews on this?

Many thanks,

Barry :)

Sponsored Links
The £100 would be better spent on a decent circular saw , it will out last any cheap table saw.

Just bought the above table saw, again for light domestic use only.

The saw itself seems rugged enough for the use I will give it, and everything seems pretty sturdy. The table-top itself is larger than a lot of other low-end saws, even without the extending sides, and that is the main reason I bought it ... I didn't much fancy trying to improvise extensions with chairs and so on.

BUT ... The fence that comes with the saw doesn't lock down parallel to the blade (may just be mine), which makes it pretty useless for ripping. It's a couple of mil out. I could always use a clamp on the far end to bring it parallel, but that kind of defeats the object of having the rip fence.

Also, the mitre gauge feels flimsy and cheap. It is sloppy in the mitre slot, moving both up and down and side to side, again making it pretty much useless. It rides in a shallow "T" slot, even making it difficult to swap it for a better one.

I am going to swap the fence for a "straight edge clamp" (with an adjustment made to it), and improvise another method of cross-cutting, rather than using the mitre gauge.

With the wonderful benefit of hindsight, it may well have been a better idea to hang on a month or two and save up for a Ryobi or similar one around the 200 quid mark.

Sponsored Links
nearly all table saws under 350 quid are majorly let down by useless fence. a good second hand one is often a better bet as they have so little to go wrong. a 200 quid or under table saw will make a worse job of straight cuts than a decent circular saw and clamped straight edge

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back