Mac Allister Mitre Saw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just been looking at the Mac Allister saw in B & Q.
1800W - 250mm blade - slide saw.
Three years warranty.
It looks quite a robust machine.
Any reviews ???
It is only for general domestic use.

Sponsored Links
Depends on the price really, it doesn't sound like you'll be giving it a hammering, so it should go the distance. It won't be as accurate as a more expensive model from one of the better known brands but if you can live with that then go for it.

I have a cheap performance-power-pro-challenge-extreme thing from B&Q, the blade is offset by about 3mm so I have to take that into account when marking up, but I'm used to it now. I only use it for studwork and the like.

I've got a 255mm performance power compound mitre saw from B&Q. From having a poke at the macalister stuff, I got the impression tha there wasn't much between them, build quality wise.

Been using mine for a couple of years for hobby carpenty. Does the job nicely. Not quite 100% accurate - bit of 'wiggle' in the runners so things are sometimes not truely spot on. Other than that - worth the money.

One thing I would reccomend tho, get yourself a 40ish tooth blade to go with it if you're planning on using it for anything other than course cutting. the blades the saws come with are brutal, 20odd teeth fellers! My 40T, 254mm blade was £28 from B&Q. cuts really nicely. Comes with the reducing rings to fit different sized bores too.

I found this thread while doing a Google search for problems with this saw.

I've had mine for around 12 months and this morning is seems to have stopped working.

The "Red eye" is still coming on but the motor refuses to do anything when you squeeze the trigger.

B&Q have advised that I check the brushes so I'll come back here and keep the thread up to date accordingly.

Sponsored Links
I don't even know why B&Q got you to check the brushes, I wouldn't mess about with it too much as they could quite easily say you've made it void by tampering with it, crafty beggers. If its under 12months, take it straight back to them and demand a replacement. I have never had any issues with any retailer because I put my foot down and make sure they know I am well aware of my consumer rights.

Luckily it has a 3 year warranty - and taking it back is probably the most likely option to be honest.

That way I get a brand new saw rather than one which has been used for a year :LOL:

I would not touch Mac Allister tools from B&Q as you cannot get spares.

have bought two mac allister thicknessers cod305p at B&Q Athlone they have mac allister powertools in stock but they dont have replacement blades for the thicknessers cod305p so as far as im concerned ill return the products if they cant supply the replacement blades

I bought a Macallister drill from B&Q and the quality was appaling. You could see the end of the drill bit carving a 1cm circle at it's end.

I since splurged and bought a Makita drill and it's at least 10 x better for twice the price.

If you can live with the tolerance issues, and it comes with a 3 year guarantee, then it's possibly ok. But it's definitely worth checking to see what you can get for maybe £50 more.
Try Machine Mart? Or Screwfix Direct?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back