Tackling Rear Wheel Bearings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've looked into doing this job myself. The wheel bearing kit for my 2004 nissan micra has a circlip and a hub nut with it, all good so far.

Just thought though, If I take off the hub, what's the chances of me damaging anything? such as damaging other parts, brake cylinder seals, tearing the shoes off etc...

The reason I ask is, years ago I had my confidence knocked witht a Vauxhall Nova, after replacing the shoes, I had inadvertantly damaged the seals on the brake cylinders, which ended up locking the wheels through brake fluid contaminated shoes, and ended up paying a garage to sort it out.

Sponsored Links
Don't worry too much about that one - the drums will come away with a little tapping around the edge as you pull them clear. Are the drums separate from the hub? Can't remember!
You'll need a press to push the old bearing out, though.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Nice and easy then - the drum has 2 8mm threaded holes in it, to help it part company with the hub as you screw a couple of bolts in.
I've never had to do Micra rear bearings - they should last for ages on such a light vehicle.
John :)

Back