Tacky varnish problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Varnish feels tacky and won't fully harden. :oops:
Painted a small pine coffe table with B&Q varnish : 1st coat Antique Pine; 2nd coat Clear.

They were both Interior quality, water based varnishes - milky looking when applied but clear after application. Now the table feels tacky or sticky although nothing comes off, after 24 hours. Second coat was applied after 4 hours when 1st was dry. An area under the table which only has the first coat is fine.
What happened ? How do I sort it out ? Is it to do with mixing varnishes or applying 2nd coat too soon ?

Sponsored Links
It may be that the pine table had been preciously treated with something or had not been fully prepared ie lots of sanding etc. and therefore less porous. You say that the underneath is fine. Which backs up my point as this will more than likely not have been treated.

I sanded it, esp the top. I think is was bare pine but very dirty, bought at a car boot so don't know history.

I'll give it a few days, see what happens.

Give it time and it may well harden, the curing process has certainly started as its got from wet to tacky.

Its always a good idea to apply a coat of sanding sealer first to pine as it seals the pours, sand, reapply and sand with lighter grade and apply finishing coats.

BTW anything with B&Q on the label is well worth avoiding

Sponsored Links
Update ...
OK - did a test on a piece of wood, the clear varnish will not set properly. Must have gone off in the tin - got frosted or just too old. The pine varnish is ok.

Stripped the top of the table (it's only 12 X 18") with a sharp scraper and re-did the top with the good varnish - all set nicely. Leaving the legs etc as is - seems to be getting better after 3 days , just a rubbery feeling now. Never had this kind of problem with the old solvent varnishes !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back