Tails on a leaking monoblock kitchen tap.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following a leak under the kitchen sink I have removed a rubbishy looking flexible hose and replaced it with copper connections.

Despite repeated attempts I have not been able to stop the leak. I think the problem is that the tails of the monoblock are tapered from 10-12-15mm. I thought that each separate section was of a uniform cross section for its length, about 5cms each. Now I am not so sure, as having removed the bottom 2cms of the 15mm section none of the service valves can be made watertight. This seems to be confirmed by using a spare (loathsome) pushfit connection which still leaks. Are these monoblock tails usually a problem or am I a complete halfwit?

Sponsored Links
Just_back_from_the_pub said:
...am I a complete halfwit?
Well, the loathing you proclaim for pushfit fittings certainly brings your intelligence into doubt.

Notwithstanding that, I'm surprised that you can't make a good enough seal with compression fittings; although you haven't actually said which lovable fitting you're actually using...

Quite right about the omission. My dislike for pushfits is due to profound difficulties in removing these whenever I have come across them in the past, that is when they have been in place for a long time. The object of joy that I am trying to attach is a levered compression ball-valve.

My dislike for pushfits is due to profound difficulties in removing these whenever I have come across them in the past, that is when they have been in place for a long time.
Fair play - the Speedfit ones can be a pain, since to demount them you have to pull the grab ring and the 'O' ring over a ridge of scale and stuff. However, demountable Hep2o are much more suitable, by design, for demounting/dismantling.

The object of joy that I am trying to attach is a levered compression ball-valve.
Hm. With gentle crimping of a copper (not brass) olive, and careful application of PTFE tape (NOT on the threads), I'd be surprised if you can't seal it.

Sponsored Links
Perhaps the ones that I have experienced have been of a low quality. JG Speedfit probably would be better...I'll consider using those in future.

I have tried several attempts with copper olives using them on their own, with PTFE, with jointing compound, with LSX...all to the same effect. This is what got me thinking about tails, probably unfounded, though. :confused:

The tails being soft copper were probably mullered during the install and now mullered by overtightening olives.

I would remove tap all together, remove tails, fit new ones available from merchants.

A good set of box spanners is essential for removing kitchen taps these days. Makes light work of a very tedious job.

This is why I removed the lowest part of the 15mm section; 'cos it was mullered. I might have to obtain some new tails as you say but I do have a reasonable set of box spanners. Thanks for your help, Paul. ;)

Job done! Had to replace the tails though, as recommended. Upon removing the old ones it was clear that they were not going to withstand any further connections. Must have taken a bit of a pasting on the last fit. Thanks for the advice, guys.

Oh, and Softus, I will take note of your comment re Hep20 being preferable to JG Speedfit for dismounting purposes. I misread it the first time.....brain spent too much time under the sink recently. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back